Do many people really HATE Apple that much?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Whatever dude! Go buy your Acer machine. You need to get over it as they are not over priced. If they were no one would buy them. Then again everyone must be wrong because you the all mighty have spoken.

I've seen ultrabooks over $1000 but whatever, you are the man! Enjoy your crown...
That's not how the market works. Some people pay extortionist prices just because of the label on the product. Apple products are notorious for having inflated prices, you can get equivalent or superior machines from high-end manufacturers like ASUS, Toshiba, Lenovo, Samsung, Sony or DELL for less, that's pretty much the definition of "overpriced".

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
That said I used to hate them for no reason other than being overpriced and closed systems so maybe the people here will get over it.

Hate is a strong, aggressive word that people throw around too freely IMO. It sounds very absolute, associated with hostility and anger and, at the end of the day, it's hard to be angry and hostile towards a company, because their products don't appeal to you, without sounding a little bit silly or childish. Hatred should be reserved for irrevocable wrongdoings that cause significant harm.

Reactions: TripleSMoon

Chocolina

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My hate for Apple is basically summed in the first 3 minutes of this:

The video doesn't say, but the Macbook also wasn't the 1st wedge-shaped laptop, but apple owns a patent on it though.

Post Wozniak Apple is shit apple. They patent ridiculous things like shapes of product and placement of things in UI's, even if they weren't the 1st, and then sue the people that do things "too similar" after, as well as sue the people that helped them make their products if that product is successful. Apple sues Samsung because of a rectangle with curved edged, even though Samsung helped make their iPhones and iPads. That is fucking insane. They sue the people that originally held the name for iPhone. I also think they sued a school because of a logo of an apple.

And I could go on about ridiculous price markups on products for brand name alone, factory conditions, control over OS, and other things like company, employee, and customer images, but Apple's shameful business practices and arrogance completely turns me off. They're about as evil and unapologetic as Monsanto or Time Warner. Why would I want to use a product with their branding, regardless of how competent or incompetent their hardware and software is?

And lets not forget how they changed the iPhone standard port to Thunderbolt, with USB 2.0 speeds/no added speed value, so they can force people to buy $50 adapters if they want to upgrade.

overdriver

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it's just pretty good designed overpriced machine. you pay for the design (of its hardware & software) and it's pretty cool. I think they deserve that much price but their arrogance to jack up the price of their misc. items like power adaptors etc is too much though. A company put some special security chip in power adapter.... omg it's too greedy even if their excuse of its security.
other than that the price.. I think Apple is just another typical big corp. out of zillons out there - all companies are same once it got bigger. I don't see any major difference to make me to hate/dislike them.

quinterrya

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Their Apple vs PC ads were extremely polarizing and insulting. There is an air of superiority that is heaped upon the brand, and the fragmentation of non-Apple hardware creates a smaller tent of Android/PC/Xbox supporters apposed to one united Apple front.

You have notice that the ads stopped after Windows 7 was reviewed as being as good (if not better) than OS 10 (i think that was the version). Apparently, they need to bring it back because Windows 8 sucks.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You have notice that the ads stopped after Windows 7 was reviewed as being as good (if not better) than OS 10 (i think that was the version). Apparently, they need to bring it back because Windows 8 sucks.
Apparently Windows 8 is actually not that bad. It's not like it has compatiblity problems or anything. The only issue is that people keep hammering about the start menu. On the other hand, OS X never even had a start menu yet everyone is fine with that. Hell, on OS X the best way to view all your installed programs is to use Launchpad, which is fullscreen. Just like the Windows 8 start menu which everyone keeps complaining about. But no, Windows 8 is evil. But that's a discussion for another thread.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Apparently Windows 8 is actually not that bad. It's not like it has compatiblity problems or anything. The only issue is that people keep hammering about the start menu. On the other hand, OS X never even had a start menu yet everyone is fine with that. Hell, on OS X the best way to view all your installed programs is to use Launchpad, which is fullscreen. Just like the Windows 8 start menu which everyone keeps complaining about. But no, Windows 8 is evil. But that's a discussion for another thread.

Personally I don't like the launchpad, but then again.. I started using a Mac back in the 90's due to my school using them. I just switched from OS X 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) to 10.9 (Mavericks) and pretty much the major visual differences are the way Finder works out and how the launchpad is used. I prefer the simplistic approach and use the Dock for all my needs (a separate folder if there are larger amounts of stuff that I rarely use). The change in Windows 8 was problematic due to different apps in Metro. If everything was interchangeable and without a problem between Metro and desktop, no one would have cared. Otherwise Apple's OS X would have been a disaster years ago. But alas, it's a very efficient OS and runs on relatively low specs quite well.

I'm a bit surprised that people tend to imagine that "pro users" never use Apple products because they're bad. That they "only use Linux" because OS X or Apple hardware are shit. Take for example Linus Torvalds. The person responsible for pretty much the whole development of the Linux Kernel and many features for it. Nowadays runs the Linux Kernel development with a group of people and companies, but still. And he uses a MacBook Air. And he's not the only one. The hardware is very functional regardless of the specs (hell, most people don't even need that latest i7 to run their browser for Facebook).

Another point I've noticed people ignore quite easily: ease of use. Sure the latest MBPs have quite a lot of propriety parts (which I dislike), but my 2010 15" MBP is still in use and hasn't let me down after the screen was changed (happens to about 1-2% of all LCD screen regardless of quality control, i.e. I got a new screen after about 1.5 years without any extra charges). Now I changed a 256GB Samsung 840 Pro (Sata III while I only have a Sata II port due to the age) and it boots faster than pretty much any other laptop I've used for the last year or so. I'm talking about OS X and Windows 8.1 booting on a piece of hardware that is closer to 4 years old, which hasn't happened on many laptops before. Oh, and I'm still using the original battery (854 cycles, should be changed due to age). Only thing missing now is USB 3.0, which wasn't very popular at the time..

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
So many limitations, overpriced unnecessarily, nothing amazing and the worst? Gaming.

Apple needs to get rid of their restrictions and bullshit marketing but.. the Apple drones buy every single one so they won't even bother with it.

TemplarGR

Gaming expert
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
No one really hates Apple. But i believe most of the "hate" comes as a reaction to Apple's viral marketing brigades... Apple didn't create its "premium" image by being the best of the best. They use shady marketing tactics as well... So people that understand technology and prefer it to marketing tend to be quite critical of Apple.

I don't hate Apple, but i wouldn't touch any of their products even if they paid me too... I just don't like them and i don't believe they are useful for any other use except as expensive toys...

Reactions: TripleSMoon

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I grew up with Apple IIe computers in school, and my schools didn't upgrade to Windows machines until Windows 95 came around. I never cared for Apple's software library, and I find it's OS clunky at best... It's missing several basic functions, and the lack of customization is really a huge downfall with me. Apple's hardware is inferior for the price you pay for an Apple device. It looks flashy, but one drop breaks the screen? They need to invest in Gorilla Glass or something.

I can't install emulators orother apps by sideloading on iOS, and that's another turn off. No SD expansion? Nope... I'm gone. I just find that Android offers much more freedom on their devices, and many more features like larger screens, better sounding audio, easier tethering (USB AND Wi-Fi) and I can even use my phone as a giant USB stick if I want.

Apple can't do that on a PC (which most of the world uses) because it uses HFS+ partition format. I also don't care for Apple's "support this hardware for 2 years, then drop all support for it" attitude. As much as it may be common business practice these days, it still doesn't make me happy as a consumer. I should support my iOS version updates on my iPod Touch first gen for 5 years, minimum. I also used to enjoy the iPod nano series of iPods, but even those have gotten awful now.

Reactions: the_randomizer

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I grew up with Apple IIe computers in school, and my schools didn't upgrade to Windows machines until Windows 95 came around. I never cared for Apple's software library, and I find it's OS clunky at best... It's missing several basic functions, and the lack of customization is really a huge downfall with me. Apple's hardware is inferior for the price you pay for an Apple device. It looks flashy, but one drop breaks the screen? They need to invest in Gorilla Glass or something.

I can't install emulators orother apps by sideloading on iOS, and that's another turn off. No SD expansion? Nope... I'm gone. I just find that Android offers much more freedom on their devices, and many more features like larger screens, better sounding audio, easier tethering (USB AND Wi-Fi) and I can even use my phone as a giant USB stick if I want.

Apple can't do that on a PC (which most of the world uses) because it uses HFS+ partition format. I also don't care for Apple's "support this hardware for 2 years, then drop all support for it" attitude. As much as it may be common business practice these days, it still doesn't make me happy as a consumer. I should support my iOS version updates on my iPod Touch first gen for 5 years, minimum. I also used to enjoy the iPod nano series of iPods, but even those have gotten awful now.
If you still have that first gen iTouch, you might want to look into installing Whited00r.

slingblade1170

Trophies
Website
xtremehack.net
XP
Country
United States
Was the first ipod touch/iphone/MACbook a game changing device? Yes, but Windows & Android has improved so much that the IOS OS has become inferior. Android KitKat is so much better along with the Google Play Store.

Reactions: JayRo

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Was the first ipod touch/iphone/MACbook a game changing device? Yes, but Windows & Android has improved so much that the IOS OS has become inferior. Android KitKat is so much better along with the Google Play Store.

This. Very much this.

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
"Good artists copy, great artists steal"- Steve Jobs, on the success of 'his' products at apple
"I'm going to destroy Android, because it's a stolen product", "I'm willing to go thermonuclear war on this" - Steve jobs, on the success of android.

Personally I dislike IOS devices for their highly objectionable lockdown, and the anti-consumer-freedom direction their success has pushed the market for consumer computing devices.
I hate Apple as a company for their willingness to claim ownership of broad concepts and get lawsuit happy over them. Everyone copies from everyone, IOS would be a lesser product if it was not for android's competition.

They need to focus more on making competitive products and less on suing everyone out of some arrogant belief they can own the entire concept of a 'simplified, fullscreen, low information density' GUI paradigm for small touchscreen devices.

An old, quite amusing take on the concept: http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=macs_cant

slingblade1170

Trophies
Website
xtremehack.net
XP
Country
United States
I don't like Steve Jobs for his product per say but because of him the devices such as Windows & Android had to improve drastically to stay ahead of the game against Apple. So, without Steve Jobs we may still be using flip phones with a useless OS and basic functions. Steve Jobs was an ass, conceded but thats what Apple needed.

Dhampir

Junker
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hate how the overprice their goods at the cost of people in Asia jumping off buildings due to poor treatment of employees and harsh working conditions.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
people dont hate apple, but people hate what apple does to people who try to get rid of all the dissonance that builds up after paying too much for a product thats not really worth that much and end up being obsolete in about a year time and time again.

granted, if I won an apple phone of any kind, I'd surely use it and be happy with what it does. but if I'd ever spend as much money on a phone as apple is asking for, it would not be for an apple phone

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If someone gave me an Apple product they didn't want anymore I'd just sell it to some poor sap on Craigslist. I hate their price gouging, anti-competitive motifs and their whole proprietary/non-standardized hardware where you have to buy some stupid accessory for every single device.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: