• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Hurricane Irma

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You pretty much hit the problem on the head, all we can do is keep innovating and gradually transition away to other sources. Wind energy and solar are slowly getting better and even more profitable than good old fossil fuels, we just have to keep pushing to improve them.

I'd much rather go with solar than wind, it seems to be more reliable than the other.

rileysrjay

Connoisseur of all things Morshu
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
True, solar's definitely developing faster. I even saw some roof tiles that can capture solar energy on the news once.
If you go to Amish country sometime a lot of them have solar panels on their roof and are entirely self sufficient off them. Pretty cool imo.

zSyntex

Berserker of myself.
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I will never find myself in you, because in my own country we do not see certain atmospheric phenomena.
I can only wish you good luck, and for any help (even moral) all GBATemp's user are here :D

Reactions: zeveroth

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So what are we supposed to do? We can't just magically switch to alternative energy sources without serious repercussions, alternate energy sources aren't fail proof (solar energy only works well if you live where it's sunny most of the year), and then wind energy; this doesn't do a lot of good if you don't have wind. Biofuels, using other forms of fuel, I mean, there's nuclear, but waste is a problem, and reactors tend to have meltdowns, so yeah, damned if we do, damned if we don't.

I live in the mountains of the west, our biggest potential issue are earthquakes, that fact scares the hell out of me.

@Viri, that's not really a solution
Nuclear reactors rarely break down. Nuclear is the best choice, and saves us from destroying the o zone even more.

Last edited by Viri,
Reactions: brickmii82

zeveroth

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Downgraded to a 2. Tampa still looks to get the eye. Miami was messed up good. Tom of flooding. Let's hope she finishes to slow down. I know that means more of the coast and inland will feel it but Atleast it wont get stronger. Thisisdaaccount, I hope you are doing well.

ThisIsDaAccount

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How are you?
I'm good! I lost power and water in my house but other than that everything went by smoothly, since I was on the opposite coast. The worst the storm did was knock over some trees thankfully. Thanks for asking!

Anyone seeing this please contact your family and friends on Florida's west coast. They got the worst of it.

brickmii82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nuclear reactors rarely break down. Nuclear is the best choice, and saves us from destroying the o zone even more.
Thorium breeder reactors are ideal as there is low waste from them as they can be easily recycled. Thorium isotope 232 is bombarded with neutrons creating Uranium 233. It further decays partly into uranium 232 which is unsuitable for weapons so it has a natural defense against proliferation. Nuclear is safe when it's not built on faultlines.....

zeveroth

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We can kind of thank the Cuban mountain range. It slowed her down enough to help the keys out some and the fact that she had pushed inland farther yesterday, added to her weakening. Still she was more than bad enough. Hope all is well tempers

xXxSwagnemitexXx

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm good! I lost power and water in my house but other than that everything went by smoothly, since I was on the opposite coast. The worst the storm did was knock over some trees thankfully. Thanks for asking!

Anyone seeing this please contact your family and friends on Florida's west coast. They got the worst of it.
That's good then, just a coincidence, we got a power cut in England yesterday, around the Kent area for about half a day.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-