• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Reddit blackout

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
As far as I understand, data protection laws do not require the vendor (in this case Reddit) to delete all your data. They are required to delete identifiable information, disassociating your posts/comments from your username seems to be enough to satisfy the GDPR.

I did make sure that my content has not been restored. After using PowerDeleteSuite to edit and delete all my posts, I was still able to find comments of mine on reddit using Google search, despite my Reddit Profile showing "this user doesn't have any posts."

Apparently, that is an issue with older accounts with over 1000 comments, you can only acccesss the latest 1000 posts/comments using your profile.

I then sent a GDPR request to get all my data (all my comments, and the links to them), then used a tool called" shreddit" to edit all the posts in the GDPR request csv file.

I did re-check a handful of posts a few days later, and they all remain edited.

I have sent another GDPR request 30 days later, and I will get another csv list of all my comments and I will be able to see if all of them remain edited. Once that is verified, I will delete my Reddit account.
It's not GDPR. Reddit is based in California, so they have to abide by the California Consumer Privacy Act. Which states, among other things, "The right to delete personal information collected from them (with some exceptions)", and "The right to limit the use and disclosure of sensitive personal information collected about them."
This does not only apply to personal info associated with your account, but anything you might have posted that could be traced back to you. Maybe you posted pictures of places nearby where you live, maybe you posted your name at one point, could be a lot of things, which makes it hard to identify all the posts that could potentially contain personally identifiable information.

Here is the relevant video, if you are interested:

Seems this actually only applies to Californian citizens though, which I wasn't aware of.

It's the only way to protest against the admins.
The stupidity in the protest it was just 48 hours. It's a perfect time to do system upgrades, that it seemed Reddit did. So Reddit lost nothing on it.

You really need to learn what tyranny is. It was a protest, a blackout that's been done before on the internet against laws. That been repelled (and later renamed and entered law anyway). So it was just a tool they could show their disgust with Reddit HQ.

Also, I just personally saw this as a typical worker strike. And I knew it wouldn't do shit.
Some kept the protest going (and still do), but it doesn't even matter as long as Reddit threatens to forcibly open subreddits back up and ban the moderators if they don't comply.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Some kept the protest going (and still do), but it doesn't even matter as long as Reddit threatens to forcibly open subreddits back up and ban the moderators if they don't comply.
Which they have all the right to do. But people shouldn't sign up as mods to the reddits and they will lock/close. But since there is people like that famous reddit mod (famous for the wrong reasons) they will always have neckbeards ready to take the spot from the others

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
It's the only way to protest against the admins.
The stupidity in the protest it was just 48 hours. It's a perfect time to do system upgrades, that it seemed Reddit did. So Reddit lost nothing on it.

You really need to learn what tyranny is. It was a protest, a blackout that's been done before on the internet against laws. That been repelled (and later renamed and entered law anyway). So it was just a tool they could show their disgust with Reddit HQ.

Also, I just personally saw this as a typical worker strike. And I knew it wouldn't do shit.
Attempting to censor and/or permanently remove hundreds of thousands of community generated posts because you are unsatisfied with your unpaid internship is not "protest". It's using clout to inflict pain on as much people as possible because of a sense of entitlement--using whatever existing power to force a desired action, going as far as leveraging the general userbase as fodder. If you can't see the parallels, then you might be suffering the same delusion.

Reminds me of this:

https://www.reuters.com/legal/us-su...over-strike-that-damaged-property-2023-06-01/

There is protest, and then there is malicious intention to cause damage.

At least in this example, the sabotage didn't target people who use the sidewalk.

Reactions: Mike_77712

linuxares

Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
"inflict pain on as much people as possible" - Yeah I really got super hurt for not being able to visit a subreddit for 48 hours. So much ouch...

"If you can't see the parallels, then you might be suffering the same delusion." - Nope, do explain how closing some subreddits for 48 hours are such a big deal you make it out to be? Do you have stocks in Reddit or something?

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
"inflict pain on as much people as possible" - Yeah I really got super hurt for not being able to visit a subreddit for 48 hours. So much ouch...

"If you can't see the parallels, then you might be suffering the same delusion." - Nope, do explain how closing some subreddits for 48 hours are such a big deal you make it out to be? Do you have stocks in Reddit or something?

1st. I'm not suggesting that they could or should be able to inflict pain on you. This wasn't about you. It was about mods with a false sense of ego using their limited power to create as much of a mess as possible. They demonstrated that they cared more about their positions than they care about the general userbase.

Example: I wouldn't appreciate you deleting/blocking/attempting to ransom everyone's posts, then going to @Costello saying, "give me my power". You'd look both pathetic, and like a wanna-be tyrant.

2nd. The lingering damage and effects of the "blackout" is still pervasive. I personally don't have the tools to quantify exactly how much history that is lost/still inaccessible. However, to suggest this as only have lasting 48 hours and is back to normal is beyond laughable.

I still cannot find my 5 year old pasta recommendation that has helped several hundred thousand people eat better.

Also. If you want some disclosure, I don't have any stock in any company--other my own (no, I don't own reddit), nor do I donate to politicians or endorse campaigns.

Last edited by tabzer,
Reactions: Mike_77712

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Protest are, by their nature, inconvenient and annoying. That's kind of the whole point. The reddit blackout served three purposes from what i can tell: 1) Show the higher ups exactly how many subreddits would seriously consider going dark should the change happen and 2) get people who have no idea there has been an issue, that there is an issue. 3) any leverage available to the admins to make things better, they will use should things not get better

Now, how successful those were is not exactly clear-cut. But I don't see Reddit getting better. the reddit head honcho seems determined to ignore the wants and needs of the people who generate the content he is making income from. Mainly because he wants to make a great deal more money off of user generated content. Now is this worsened reddit still worth it? Or are there better alternatives? Time will tell, I suppose.
1st. I'm not suggesting that they could or should be able to inflict pain on you. This wasn't about you. It was about mods with a false sense of ego using their limited power to create as much of a mess as possible. They demonstrated that they cared more about their positions than they care about the general userbase.

Example: I wouldn't appreciate you deleting/blocking/attempting to ransom everyone's posts, then going to @Costello saying, "give me my power". You'd look both pathetic, and like a wanna-be tyrant.

2nd. The lingering damage and affects of the "blackout" is still pervasive. I personally don't have the tools to quantify exactly how much history that is lost/still inaccessible. However, to suggest this as only have lasting 48 hours and is back to normal is beyond laughable.

I still cannot find my 5 year old pasta recommendation that has helped several hundred thousand people eat better.

Also. If you want some disclosure, I don't have any stock in any company--other my own (no, I don't own reddit), nor do I donate to politicians or endorse campaigns.
Any sites that would have it cached? I don't think the waybackmachine does 5 years ago. Think any GBAtempers would have saved it?

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Protest are, by their nature, inconvenient and annoying.

Many illegal and immoral things do that, too. Just because something is inconvenient and annoying doesn't make it a protest. I already pointed out that willful sabotage was the concern. Come on, Teach!

Any sites that would have it cached? I don't think the waybackmachine does 5 years ago. Think any GBAtempers would have saved it?

Oh. My pasta is safe. I'm pointing out that the harm done is heavy handed and insincere--a child throwing a temper tantrum and destroying a castle made of legos, that all the other kids actually built. "If I can't enjoy it, nobody can."

linuxares

Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden

2nd. The lingering damage and effects of the "blackout" is still pervasive. I personally don't have the tools to quantify exactly how much history that is lost/still inaccessible. However, to suggest this as only have lasting 48 hours and is back to normal is beyond laughable.

Come on, it's not even in the same ball park. Also it seemed a lot of users where on the mods sides. As I stated before, Reddit is dead without content. Chasing away people from the site is a bad idea, like blocking the API behind a massive paywall that no normal person can afford. Very much as this website would also be kind of dead without content no?

Protests are suppose to be annoying, a lot of the subs also asked their users bases what they WANTED TO DO both before and after the protest. Didn't you visit any subreddit that was in a blackout?

You could access reddit via cache on Google. Literally nothing was inaccessible... It was "inconvenient" at most. I honestly have a hard time believeing any signficance of history got lost during these 48 hours because it wasn't on Reddit. It was probably on the Fediverse if so.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Come on, it's not even in the same ball park. Also it seemed a lot of users where on the mods sides. As I stated before, Reddit is dead without content. Chasing away people from the site is a bad idea, like blocking the API behind a massive paywall that no normal person can afford. Very much as this website would also be kind of dead without content no?

Some mods tried to remain respectful and well-intentioned, despite the mob mentality present and questionable origins/intentions of the "protest". I get that Spez is unlikeable, but trying to compete for that title was counterproductive.

I agree that this website would be dead without content, and if you did something like blackout the site because Costello changed your moderator tool-set, I'd blame you for that and not Costello.

Protests are suppose to be annoying, a lot of the subs also asked their users bases what they WANTED TO DO both before and after the protest.

Again, not talking about well-intentioned mods who got caught up in it. Also, read, because being annoying does not make something a "protest". You can be malicious out of "protest". Protest, itself, isn't a good thing or a bad thing. So, saying "well, it was a protest" is vapid. Actual tyrants are quite effective protesters.

Didn't you visit any subreddit that was in a blackout?

Many subs/moderators had different ways about it. The big ones driving the "movement" were of the most monetized subs. The hobbyists and the users who got roped into "supporting" it were coaxed into working against their interest "for the greater good".

You could access reddit via cache on Google. Literally nothing was inaccessible... It was "inconvenient" at most. I honestly have a hard time believeing any signficance of history got lost during these 48 hours because it wasn't on Reddit. It was probably on the Fediverse if so.

Do you think the fact that what was lost is indeterminable to be rationalization of malicious intent? In what situation would burning a library be forgivable? (Don't go too crazy with that one, try to at least parallel/analogize what we are talking about.)

linuxares

Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Some mods tried to remain respectful and well-intentioned, despite the mob mentality present and questionable origins/intentions of the "protest". I get that Spez is unlikeable, but trying to compete for that title was counterproductive.

I agree that this website would be dead without content, and if you did something like blackout the site because Costello changed your moderator tool-set, I'd blame you for that and not Costello.
Spez is just the CEO and therefore got the most blame. If moderators randomly black out the site, it's probably time to listen that something might be very fucky with said site no?

Again, not talking about well-intentioned mods who got caught up in it. Also, read, because being annoying does not make something a "protest". You can be malicious out of "protest". Protest, itself, isn't a good thing or a bad thing. So, saying "well, it was a protest" is vapid. Actual tyrants are quite effective protesters.
Of course for your conventient everything must work I guess? You never protested in your life about something you feel are unjust? I for one that used these third party apps fully supported the blackout for their stupid decision about the API.

Many subs/moderators had different ways about it. The big ones driving the "movement" were of the most monetized subs. The hobbyists and the users who got roped into "supporting" it were coaxed into working against their interest "for the greater good".
Of course they do. Everyone is different. Monetized subs, ugh... I don't know all of them but sure enough you can probably be bribed by some company.

Do you think the fact that what was lost is indeterminable to be rationalization of malicious intent? In what situation would burning a library be forgivable? (Don't go too crazy with that one, try to at least parallel/analogize what we are talking about.)
It was once again to protest against the API changes. Reddit is sadly the only platform as of now while the Fediverse grows it's probably where the "next" Reddit will be.

Burning a library is no way same analogy that can be applied. If not the library suddenly pop backup after 48 hours.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Spez is just the CEO and therefore got the most blame. If moderators randomly black out the site, it's probably time to listen that something might be very fucky with said site no?

"Randomly", lol. Apply what you said to this:

"I agree that this website would be dead without content, and if you did something like blackout the site because Costello changed your moderator tool-set, I'd blame you for that and not Costello."

If you "randomly" held the site hostage, it's probably time for Costello to listen to your demands?

Of course for your conventient everything must work I guess? You never protested in your life about something you feel are unjust? I for one that used these third party apps fully supported the blackout for their stupid decision about the API.

You are missing the clear point that "all protests are not equal". For example, blocking traffic and hindering first responders from saving lives is especially cruel, but many justify it with "it's a protest, dude!" In respect to censoring/restricting information to everyone "just to own the admins", it definitely crossed the line of non-compliance and into malicious action.

You may want to see Reddit burn, and I am enjoying the show too, but let's be honest here.

Of course they do. Everyone is different. Monetized subs, ugh... I don't know all of them but sure enough you can probably be bribed by some company.

It's not that they were "bribed". The biggest monetized subs profit the most and the api tools are their boon for consistent influx of $. It's easy street, and they'd probably be better off replaced by AI, considering how quickly they turn into self-interested echo-chambers. Reddit's economic model incentivizes cult behavior.

These bigger actors simply don't want to be blamed, so they roped as many people into serving their interests.

It was once again to protest against the API changes. Reddit is sadly the only platform as of now while the Fediverse grows it's probably where the "next" Reddit will be.

Burning a library is no way same analogy that can be applied. If not the library suddenly pop backup after 48 hours.

So change the analogy to fit. Fact of the matter is that even after the "blackout" over 3,000 subs decided to extend the blackout "indefinitely". While that metric is easier to see, what can't be accounted for are the mass-deletions of posts.

I'll try to help you. You are a librarian. The admin says that you'll have to switch to manual book tracking. This pisses you off, because the computer system that was in place allowed you a lot of extra time to develop content for your Instagram feed. You decide to lock up all the books in a vault and change the combination out of protest. Fair?

Last edited by tabzer,

linuxares

Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
If you "randomly" held the site hostage, it's probably time for Costello to listen to your demands?
Maybe? It's what the protest was about after all.

You are missing the clear point that "all protests are not equal". For example, blocking traffic and hindering first responders from saving lives is especially cruel, but many justify it with "it's a protest, dude!" In respect to censoring/restricting information to everyone "just to own the admins", it definitely crossed the line of non-compliance and into malicious action.
No, since Reddit is no "life or death" website. It doesn't fit your argument about the ambulance. It was really a censorship since it was timed.

It's not that they were "bribed". The biggest monetized subs profit the most and the api tools are their boon for consistent influx of $. It's easy street, and they'd probably be better off replaced by AI, considering how quickly they turn into self-interested echo-chambers. Reddit's economic model incentivizes cult behavior.
I have no clue how the moderation on Reddit works. I have no interest in it so I just got to take your word for it.

So change the analogy to fit. Fact of the matter is that even after the "blackout" over 3,000 subs decided to extend the blackout "indefinitely". While that metric is easier to see, what can't be accounted for are the mass-deletions of posts.
They can (Reddit) at any time unlock said subs and they have and probably will restore deleted posts. They just have to clear the GDPR and the Califonia Privacy Act. People on Reddit can delete their posts, so it's really no stopping them from doing it.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Maybe? It's what the protest was about after all.

:rofl:

No, since Reddit is no "life or death" website. It doesn't fit your argument about the ambulance. It was really a censorship since it was timed.

The argument is that "not all protests are equal", not that Reddit is a "life or death" situation. About the link I presented, do you think that it was okay for the employees to load up cement trucks and then abandon them with the intention of creating waste and financial damage?

They can (Reddit) at any time unlock said subs and they have and probably will restore deleted posts. They just have to clear the GDPR and the Califonia Privacy Act. People on Reddit can delete their posts, so it's really no stopping them from doing it.

The reference was to mods mass deleting posts in the subs that they moderate. I'd still like your feedback about the analogy I tailored for you (even at the expense of ignoring the concern of potentially lost information). I threw you a literary bone, and you still don't want to comment. Why not?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Which they have all the right to do. But people shouldn't sign up as mods to the reddits and they will lock/close. But since there is people like that famous reddit mod (famous for the wrong reasons) they will always have neckbeards ready to take the spot from the others
It's their website, sure, they can technically do whatever they want. But this is not the correct response to a strike, all it is is a great way to alienate their users who are actually providing all the content that makes Reddit Reddit to begin with. I wouldn't blame people for jumping ship to a more open alternative.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BunnyPinkie @ BunnyPinkie: Lol not me trying to get people to make an uncensor patch for imagine makeup artist