• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Reddit blackout

Mike_77712

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol fuck reddit and fuck zoomers. bunch of hive minded morons. I cant even browse reddit for information because of 'blackouts'. they're all full of shit quite honestly:D.

Localhorst86

Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Reddit yes, the mods no.
Reddit will die if there is no content on the site. They need to realise as soon as proper alternative is present, a lot of people might migrate. Same that happened to Digg.
personally, I have found a new home in the fediverse, lemmy specifically. The smaller communities also wont drown out your comments or posts.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The mods quickly learned the admins were above the foodchain.

The whole thing was doomed to fail from the start, the fact that it went on that long is something, but at the end of the day its probably 95%+ of the reddit userbase that is unaffected by those changes, and most users just didnt give af and just wanted to talk about their stuff in their niche subs. Everything is mostly back to normal, like it never even happened.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Reddit yes, the mods no.
Reddit will die if there is no content on the site. They need to realise as soon as proper alternative is present, a lot of people might migrate. Same that happened to Digg.

Mods blacking out years worth of content because that's the "only leverage" they had makes them shitty. If they wanted to "protest", they should just stop visiting or moderating, not sabotage the internet. I know you relate to them, being a mod, but that action of blacking out (some permanently) is just showing that they don't mind tyranny as long as they're the tyrant.

Reactions: SylverReZ

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The mods quickly learned the admins were above the foodchain.

The whole thing was doomed to fail from the start, the fact that it went on that long is something, but at the end of the day its probably 95%+ of the reddit userbase that is unaffected by those changes, and most users just didnt give af and just wanted to talk about their stuff in their niche subs. Everything is mostly back to normal, like it never even happened.
Also, remember, when you announce a protest, announcing when the protest is going to end, is probably not the best idea. Also, when I use Reddit, I just use a browser, so I don't give a fuck about what they were protesting about, and left a bunch of subreddits full of whiny mods. "John Oliver" posting is not funny at all, his show isn't even funny, and gets recommended like crazy on Youtube.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Personally, I have deleted my entire post history from reddit (not just my account).
The official Reddit app has been unusable for over a year, I don't want to be associated with a place that forces it's users into an unusable experience.
Make sure they stayed deleted. A youtuber tried this multiple times and every time his posts would be restored after a few minutes, and reddit refused to comply with data protection laws and delete the data on request.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Make sure they stayed deleted. A youtuber tried this multiple times and every time his posts would be restored after a few minutes, and reddit refused to comply with data protection laws and delete the data on request.
Oh... Poor boy... You haven't learned this yet? Billionaires are above laws.

Localhorst86

Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
As far as I understand, data protection laws do not require the vendor (in this case Reddit) to delete all your data. They are required to delete identifiable information, disassociating your posts/comments from your username seems to be enough to satisfy the GDPR.

I did make sure that my content has not been restored. After using PowerDeleteSuite to edit and delete all my posts, I was still able to find comments of mine on reddit using Google search, despite my Reddit Profile showing "this user doesn't have any posts."

Apparently, that is an issue with older accounts with over 1000 comments, you can only acccesss the latest 1000 posts/comments using your profile.

I then sent a GDPR request to get all my data (all my comments, and the links to them), then used a tool called" shreddit" to edit all the posts in the GDPR request csv file.

I did re-check a handful of posts a few days later, and they all remain edited.

I have sent another GDPR request 30 days later, and I will get another csv list of all my comments and I will be able to see if all of them remain edited. Once that is verified, I will delete my Reddit account.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Mods blacking out years worth of content because that's the "only leverage" they had makes them shitty. If they wanted to "protest", they should just stop visiting or moderating, not sabotage the internet. I know you relate to them, being a mod, but that action of blacking out (some permanently) is just showing that they don't mind tyranny as long as they're the tyrant.
It's the only way to protest against the admins.
The stupidity in the protest it was just 48 hours. It's a perfect time to do system upgrades, that it seemed Reddit did. So Reddit lost nothing on it.

You really need to learn what tyranny is. It was a protest, a blackout that's been done before on the internet against laws. That been repelled (and later renamed and entered law anyway). So it was just a tool they could show their disgust with Reddit HQ.

Also, I just personally saw this as a typical worker strike. And I knew it wouldn't do shit.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's the only way to protest against the admins.
The stupidity in the protest it was just 48 hours. It's a perfect time to do system upgrades, that it seemed Reddit did. So Reddit lost nothing on it.

You really need to learn what tyranny is. It was a protest, a blackout that's been done before on the internet against laws. That been repelled (and later renamed and entered law anyway). So it was just a tool they could show their disgust with Reddit HQ.

Also, I just personally saw this as a typical worker strike. And I knew it wouldn't do shit.
There are laws in Canada/Quebec (i dont know which level of government has this law) that prevents a boss to hire anyone to replace striking workers

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: A buttered grilled cheese pb&j? Meh