Hacking Translation The Legend of Heroes: Trails from Zero Evolution English patch

dougsned

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm getting an error (C1-6703-6) when launching the game after patching the translation. I updated the game to version 1.01 before patching. This happens when I patch the files manually according to the instructions or when I downloaded the prepatched version uploaded by aini12aian.

EDIT: Fixed the issue. It was a problem with Refood.

Last edited by dougsned,
Reactions: aini12aian

Nik_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, so, quick update.

We were attempting to patch elf string pointers (the movw+movt instructions), the same way we did for Zero, but it was not working at all and ignoring the patched instructions.

I managed to identify the issue. The first issue is that the elf is relocated with a relocation table.

I did a test and nulled out the relevant records in the relocation table. This caused the patched strings to show garbage data and sometimes crash. This leads to the second issue: the game uses ASLR. (The address space of the game is randomized, so the relo table is patching everything at boot to have the proper addresses for where the game gets loaded.)

I am not super familiar with elf relocation so this has been a bit of a process. Right now, our "solution" involves using the "noASLR" plugin to disable ASLR, and using the patched elf with relevant relocation records nulled out.

I don't like this solution as it requires using an extra external plugin.

Some other potential solutions include:

1. Keep the patched elf with nulled relo entries, and find a way to disable ASLR without the use of a plugin.

2. Reverse how these relo entries work, and instead patch them to point to the new addresses.

I am leaning towards #2. The biggest issue is that doing quick tests like this on Vita games is a pain and super time consuming. ;(
Have you been able to resolve the issue?
If not, I have some expertise in ELF structure and reverse engineering so I can try to help with this problem.

darkBasuke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, just curious if you've made any progress on resolving the technical issue preventing Azure from being released? I really appreciate the fact you and others are working on bringing this to the vita. I hope everything works out.

Dokterfreddy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Yes we have made some progress. @Nik_ has joint the team and he is helping us a lot.
We are now play testing the game.
Post automatically merged:

Regarding Zero. We are adding the update version of the 'MorePortraitsInZero' patch. And we are looking for someone to play test the update. If anybody is intreseted. please contact me via a DM.

https://github.com/shinkiseki/MorePortraitsInZero

Howchie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Yes we have made some progress. @Nik_ has joint the team and he is helping us a lot.
We are now play testing the game.
Post automatically merged:

Regarding Zero. We are adding the update version of the 'MorePortraitsInZero' patch. And we are looking for someone to play test the update. If anybody is intreseted. please contact me via a DM.

https://github.com/shinkiseki/MorePortraitsInZero

That's awesome to hear, love it when the community bands together for everyone's benefit. Can't wait for the release.

Reactions: Hark0n

Howchie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Do you guys have any idea on a timeframe for Azure? Playtesting is a good sign that it's fairly close, right?

such

Trophies
XP
Country
Barbados
Do you guys have any idea on a timeframe for Azure? Playtesting is a good sign that it's fairly close, right?
To me that means they've perhaps managed to get past the snag they hit, but not that there isn't a lot of work left (even if it's "just" raw manhours).

...and playtesting a game of this size is a ton of work in itself.

Howchie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Thanks mate, apologies if I come across as prodding I'm just excited and trying to pace myself playing the games so I don't finish before Azure is done

Reactions: iantrvm

such

Trophies
XP
Country
Barbados
If it gets to that point there's always Geofront - it's also getting its official release in about a month (feels as though it took an eternity and just flew by at the same time).

Sthefynice

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Hi guys! Tysm for all your effort doing this huge work!
You know, I'm newbie with Trails but I wanna to start with the franchise, so if you guys can tell me if I should start with Zero before the others would be great? Also, dunno anything about apply patchs ): can a blessed soul share a link with the game already patched? Or do we just need to download the file and then put it on the Repatch folder? :unsure:

Any comment I´d really appreciate it!:wub:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/Tt5J7AfCK6E?si=g4dGzOkhACLJAovM