• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Trumpcare

kuwanger

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dear Barack Obama,

Obamacare is a failure. Obamacare was doomed to be a failure. Obamacare made compulsory Health insurance a band-aid over Health Care, but Health Insurance is not Health Care. The only system that would provide health care for all people in America is a system that specifically does something like that, like Universal Healthcare. There's nothing wrong with admitting your mistakes; it's important to acknowledge them if your desire is for the people you care about, not attempting to fulfill a Legacy; Jimmy Carter has accomplished many good things since leaving the Presidency.

Join the Republicans, Democrats, and Trump to Repeal and Replace Obamacare with Universal Healthcare. Make it clear that you'd joyously give Trump all the credit if he wants it if it means Universal Healthcare; Nixon passed many good laws. Advocate making Universal Healthcare a Constitutional Amendment. Stump for any Democrat or Republican will to support such legislation. Call out other Democrats who refuse to work with Republicans. Acknowledge criticism of not working well-enough with Republicans in the past, but make it clear you are putting the country first now and will work with anyone with the same goal. Advocate merging Medicare/Medicaid into Universal Healthcare. Make it clear that health care is an American responsibility, and it shouldn't be left up to individual States to control the flow of money to pay for health care nor to set requirements for licensing of doctors or nurses or restriction on services provided; yes, this means Universal Healthcare paying for abortions. Make it clear that so long as abortion is a legal medical procedure and deemed necessary, it is appropriate for Universal Healthcare to fund it like any other necessary procedure. Private hospitals and abortion clinics can continue to exist to allow for medical procedures deemed unnecessary or to expedite non-emergency care, to paid for by insurance or out of pocket.

Advocate to take steps to reduce the costs of health care by making more doctors available, bulk purchasing prescription, and other steps that other countries with Universal Healthcare engage in. This could include things like complete Federal management of student loan forgiveness for doctors and nurses, lowering residency requirements for doctors from countries with comparable health systems, requiring all public hospitals to run residency programs, and seeing what regulations are unnecessary or overly expensive and should be reworked or removed. Based on other Universal Healthcare systems, the money we spend on Medicare/Medicaid alone should be enough to cover nearly all the expenses of Universal Healthcare for all people in America; a slight tax increase may be necessary and the market correction will undoubtedly be painful, but it's a necessary step.

I believe fundamentally you are a pragmatist. However, there is nothing pragmatic in merely doing what seems possible today if your goal is a better future. What is pragmatic is to strive for the things that are really possible today and tomorrow. There's definitely a lot about the cost of and organization of health care I am not well versed enough in to fully flesh out the idea. It will take many people, both in the private and public sector to provide input. There are many example countries to look at on what we're doing wrong on cost. If there's one person's voice that will resonate the most, it will be yours to make clear that what matters more is not whether you have your name associated with something but whether what needs to be done is done.

kuwanger

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton are famous Wii U hackers but I'm afraid Barack Obama is not on these forums.

I do not believe Barack Obama would be any more likely to read what I wrote if I emailed him directly or if I put it here on a forum he does not read. The real question is, do you agree or disagree, and do you think Barack Obama should read it? Could you be part of the solution to make the latter happen?

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
I expect the only thing to be passed/executive power in this administration is a law which the Democrats will say ‘doesn’t go far enough’ and the Republicans say ‘leaves the market alone’ with maybe just one or two additions like bans on pre-existing conditions.

cots

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dear Barack Obama.

I think you have the right idea. Liberals are busy trying to bash Trump when he is simply trying to implement something that benefits society more then the failed Obamacare did. Of course, you're asking Democrats to work with Republicans. Yeah right! They will refuse to compromise and then when nothing gets done they will blame Trump. Hell, I saw a stray cat today. Must be Trumps fault!

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

kuwanger

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With Universal Health care, you always have rationing of health care.

With licensed doctors, you always have rationing of health care With any sort of regulation on the safety, purity, or effectiveness of drugs, you always have rationing of health care. I could go on, but I think you get the point. The important thing isn't if health care is per se rationed but if it provides equal or better outcome and what such access costs. By about every metric that can be used except peoples ability to expedite non-emergency care or to pay for much more expensive options--neither of which Universal Health care doesn't inherently remove--which have negligible statistical difference on outcome, the US system of public/private health insurance/health care is inferior to all other countries with Single Payer/Universal Health care.

The problem is Obama's comment was about renaming Obamacare, not actually replacing with something actually better. The other part is it was a mocking joke under the belief that Trump is too incompetent to actually pass something better. Again, I point out Nixon. More importantly, with enough support you don't need the President to sign on, so it's fundamentally not about Trump. It is fundamentally about getting enough people (especially in Congress and the States) behind a system that's been proven to work basically everywhere.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem is Obama's comment was about renaming Obamacare, not actually replacing with something actually better.
I mean... I'm not gonna say that the ACA was perfect by any means, because I'd so much rather have properly-implemented single-payer healthcare. That said, it's still LEAGUES better than the for-profit healthcare system we've been stuck with up to that point, especially for the people who wouldn't otherwise have been able to afford private insurance.

The other part is it was a mocking joke under the belief that Trump is too incompetent to actually pass something better. Again, I point out Nixon.
Well... yeah, but [insert low-hanging fruit joke here], y'know? I get what you're saying, but that's really kind of because that actually is the case. And the more important point here isn't that Obama thinks Trump is incompetent (although he'd never say that out loud, those were the days), it's that Obama clearly doesn't care about credit for himself, he genuinely wants what he thinks is best for the nation.

More importantly, with enough support you don't need the President to sign on, so it's fundamentally not about Trump. It is fundamentally about getting enough people (especially in Congress and the States) behind a system that's been proven to work basically everywhere.
That's... kinda shifting the topic of the conversation you started, but yes, you're right. There's really nothing that I disagree with here. And honestly that's what's going to HAVE to happen, because there's no plausible scenario in which I could see Donald Trump supporting universal single-payer healthcare

Reactions: KingVamp

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am about as big a proponent of universal/nationalised healthcare as you will find, and find myself continually shocked by the US and its approach to things as well as the attitudes underpinning it, even more so when I consider its position in the world. Still I can see how the ACA ended up a rather neutered and ineffectual thing in the end. That said is repealing things the right move? It is generally noted as being far easier to amend things than make new things when it comes to matters legal and governmental. Trying to get such a thing introduced again would get all the "we tried it and look what happened" soundbites that skip over all the nuance.

Re: abortions. I know we already did that one, or we can go back to that thread if you like, but "necessary" immediately runs into the psychologically necessary quandary (as do many other things).

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

kuwanger

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That said is repealing things the right move? It is generally noted as being far easier to amend things than make new things when it comes to matters legal and governmental. Trying to get such a thing introduced again would get all the "we tried it and look what happened" soundbites that skip over all the nuance.

The truth is, the soundbites against it will be said regardless of it's replace or reform. The truth is, Obamacare was about Health Insurance. We need a law about Health Care. So long as we keep following the path that think we can just reform a little here and there instead of directly addressing the issue, the more we're dooming ourselves to be mired into no real solution.

Re: abortions. I know we already did that one, or we can go back to that thread if you like, but "necessary" immediately runs into the psychologically necessary quandary (as do many other things).

The truth is, there will probably never be consensus on when people as a whole believe abortion or many other medical procedures are "necessary". In the end, that means we are left to individual doctors who will make that call and likely many who will seek private abortion clinics. I don't think the answer is to step forward and argue we codify it into law "pay for abortion" or "don't pay for abortion" because that's precisely the standstill no one is willing to give on. Leave it to the individual and the doctor and promise that the procedure will be paid for if the doctor says it's medically necessary. That's really the place we're already at, so that compromise (if you want to think of it as that) should be brought up and espoused upon as early and readily as possible so abortion isn't used to derail the whole thing.

That's... kinda shifting the topic of the conversation you started, but yes, you're right. There's really nothing that I disagree with here. And honestly that's what's going to HAVE to happen, because there's no plausible scenario in which I could see Donald Trump supporting universal single-payer healthcare

I believe Donald Trump is fundamentally a sycophant. If it's clear that playing to that base will result in him receiving credit and accolades to the point of calling it Trumpcare, he will gladly take up the honor. That's why attacking Trump's ego is no approach to winning him over and why it's important that Obama specifically graciously concede to Trump's wisdom in Universal Healthcare. But in the end, if it's clear he'll keep fighting against it anyways, the point is we can work around him. He will go down as possibly the worst President for opposing health care. That's not the goal. That's him hanging himself. Honestly, I don't want that.

x65943

pronouns big/pingus
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No way Trump passes anything approaching universal health care. It's anathema to the GOP base.

And he probably won't be passing anything anytime soon. The impeachment is going to start this January when the Dems take the house - and although they need the Republicans in the Senate to convict, things are looking pretty damning now with Mueller implicating Trump in campaign finance violation in the Cohen case. Indictment soon I suspect.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Obama Care/Afordable Care Act does’t make overall Medical Care more affordable and doesn’t reduce GDP spending. It forced Young Healthy People to get Health Insurance. It redistributed the costs but costs were the same.

If people can’t afford medical care then they are unable to afford medical care and have government distribute it.

People complain that their paychecks are low and it’s because their money is taken from taxes and taken to pay for Business Supplied Health Insurance. Which also raises unemployment rates. It’s an added cost to employers.

Health Insurance adds to the total cost of medical care because instead of paying the doctor directly you now have to pay doctors and the health insurance companies making medical expenses even more expensive. More people involved more people to pay. It doesn’t reduce costs.

Last edited by SG854,

bitjacker

GBAtemp Disorderly
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If we learned anything, we would not authorize government to do anything to healthcare. How about we file a class action suit to reclaim money that was a fine for not having insurance, end the war on drugs, and pass an amendment granting citizens the right to self medicate/ force insurance companies to pay for care doctors prescribe. (any doctors caught working against patients in interest of insurance companies would have to be stripped of license). The government could loan its people money to get the higher costing cares done.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
If we learned anything, we would not authorize government to do anything to healthcare. How about we file a class action suit to reclaim money that was a fine for not having insurance, end the war on drugs, and pass an amendment granting citizens the right to self medicate/ force insurance companies to pay for care doctors prescribe. (any doctors caught working against patients in interest of insurance companies would have to be stripped of license). The government could loan its people money to get the higher costing cares done.
When people perceive something to be free they use more of that service as much as they want which leaves less for everyone else.

More use of a service raises spending costs to the government which then is pased on to the people. And won’t lower GDP spending. GDP spending is high, people critisize high GDP spending, and this won’t lower it.

If people payed directly themselves then they would be more careful about their choices and how they use services. Which leaves more for people that really need it.

x65943

pronouns big/pingus
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When people perceive something to be free they use more of that service as much as they want which leaves less for everyone else.

More use of a service raises spending costs to the government which then is pased on to the people. And won’t lower GDP spending. GDP spending is high, people critisize high GDP spending, and this won’t lower it.

If people payed directly themselves then they would be more careful about their choices and how they use services. Which leaves more for people that really need it.
Thing is the people who use the healthcare system the most are the poor who flock to the ER - which is the most expensive place to receive healthcare.

And guess what, they can't pay that huge bill - so it ends up being footed by everyone else anyway.

As someone who worked as an EMT let me tell you, they already treat emergency medicine like it's candy. People would call because they fell over and needed help up, or because they got stung by a bee.

At least with universal care they could treat regular visits like candy - which would cost less.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: After watching, that I feel like I'm on them already