• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

What exactly are women marching for?

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Has anyone listened to those attending the march, instead of putting words and thoughts in their mouths?

I've seen signs that I think are stupid, with the text "power to the pussy"... What's the point? That isn't constructive.

I think a more clear message would be better, and would silence at least since of those who are "against" them.

ThisIsDaAccount

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry that was me being a bit of a dick sorry. Yeah people should be able to do whatever makes them happy as long as it doesn't hurt anyone AND if they are willing to take full responsibility for their actions.
Yeah, this summarizes my beliefs, and I think it's important to realize that there are still some people that don't believe in giving women that choice.

For that reason, I applaud everyone who empowers women to make that choice against their odds. This includes the women of the march and other people like Ivanka Trump, who I do believe empowers that idea even though I disagree with her other unrelated policies.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So.... What exactly were women marching for?

Autonomy - so they want to make a self-governing country? Why?

Reproductive rights - is that supposed to be like abortion and whatnot? If so, they already have the right to abort.

I genuinely want someone to show me the other side of the coin.

I'll keep it short, but essentially, lawmakers keep trying to restrict the rights you assume women already have. It'll vary from state to state, but generally laws are passed that don't technically offend superior/federal laws, but do everything they can to minimize those rights. Women make one step forward, then some aholes try and restrict what they can and can't do.

For instance, technically, yes, they can get an abortion. If they drive for 4-8 hours, both way, to the only "authorized" clinic in the state that can do it. And sit through an hour or so of a "nurse" telling them how shitty of a person they are for wanting to do it. Then they have a 24 waiting period at the earliest before they can schedule for the actual procedure, to give the woman time to "reconsider". Then driving 4-8 hours again, both ways. Then you pay through the nose. IF you can schedule it sometime between 11-3, on tuesday, wednesday, or thursday. If you can do it before 2-4 weeks after getting pregnant. Hope you caught it early! These are the worst offending examples, but they are real examples of what is currently the law in some places, and what they keep trying to pass. This is how they limit rights, even if it's still technically legal. Easy access, without the condemnation and shame, is a requirement for abortion to be considered actually allowed.

Autonomy, as in bodily autonomy. Which means they get to choose what to do with their body, not lawmakers. Generally in reference to abortion, but can also have to do with "decency laws" or prudish, backwards laws that restrict what they can do with their own body. Not a purely female problem, but they certainly have to bear the larger burden.

A lot of this has to do with biases and religious dogma, and people who think women and men are fundamentally different cognitively (they aren't). Even if they were, it doesn't justify the assumptions and difficulties they face by folks who just cant be bothered to figure out why folks might complain.

Last edited by osaka35,

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not
So much repressed anger. Let it all out buddy. Your tears are delicious:rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

- Sent from my MacBook worth 1+ years of (your) work

LOL not angry. You are a moron. Go ahead, quote me then edit the quote again. Redact your reality just like T-Rump. I guess that's how you pretend you are anything but shit. Bono want the bitty? You'll always be number 2! You just prove that God ruined a perfectly good asshole when he put teeth in your mouth. Now go ahead and say I am crying or whatever. You are still a turd. I am gonna go get some from my beautiful wife. Who loves me for me. Something you'll never have cause nobody love a turd.

Maybe when you learn to respect people then someone will respect you. Nah, nobody will ever like you for you. Nobody,

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Nauru
Autonomy, as in bodily autonomy. Which means they get to choose what to do with their body, not lawmakers. Generally in reference to abortion, but can also have to do with "decency laws" or prudish, backwards laws that restrict what they can do with their own body. Not a purely female problem, but they certainly have to bear the larger burden.
We aren't talking about something that's only made by the woman though. Having a baby involves two people, so they shouldn't have 100% the right if the other person got something to say about that.

I'm also not going to discuss about when the fetus gets "human" enough to become a living being, but yeah, it does happen eventually and IMO we should define a limit. I'd definitely feel not OK for women to abort their 7-months fetuses.
Not

LOL not angry. You are a moron. Go ahead, quote me then edit the quote again. Redact your reality just like T-Rump. I guess that's how you pretend you are anything but shit. Bono want the bitty? You'll always be number 2! You just prove that God ruined a perfectly good asshole when he put teeth in your mouth. Now go ahead and say I am crying or whatever. You are still a turd. I am gonna go get some from my beautiful wife. Who loves me for me. Something you'll never have cause nobody love a turd.

Maybe when you learn to respect people then someone will respect you. Nah, nobody will ever like you for you. Nobody,
1d9.jpg

Look at that, you made me use a Trump meme even if I don't like the guy. Silly poor, envious people :rofl2::rofl2:

CallmeBerto

The Lone Wanderer
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
I'll keep it short, but essentially, lawmakers keep trying to restrict the rights you assume women already have. It'll vary from state to state, but generally laws are passed that don't technically offend superior/federal laws, but do everything they can to minimize those rights. Women make one step forward, then some aholes try and restrict what they can and can't do.

For instance, technically, yes, they can get an abortion. If they drive for 4-8 hours, both way, to the only "authorized" clinic in the state that can do it. And sit through an hour or so of a "nurse" telling them how shitty of a person they are for wanting to do it. Then they have a 24 waiting period at the earliest before they can schedule for the actual procedure, to give the woman time to "reconsider". Then driving 4-8 hours again, both ways. Then you pay through the nose. IF you can schedule it sometime between 11-3, on tuesday, wednesday, or thursday. If you can do it before 2-4 weeks after getting pregnant. Hope you caught it early! These are the worst offending examples, but they are real examples of what is currently the law in some places, and what they keep trying to pass. This is how they limit rights, even if it's still technically legal. Easy access is a requirement for abortion to be considered actually allowed.

A lot of this has to do with biases and religious dogma, and people who think women and men are fundamentally different cognitively (they aren't). Even if they were, it doesn't justify the assumptions and difficulties they face by folks who just cant be bothered to figure out why folks might complain.

People who get abortions are bad people. Sex makes babies, news flash. Then again idc if they want to get one or not just don't make me pay for it.

You can do whatever you want with your body just don't ask me to pay for it. When you ask the government to pay for something you are giving them power over that thing.

Men and women are different both physically and mentally. Thinking otherwise is silly.

DRAGONBALLVINTAGE

The GBATemp Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People who get abortions are bad people. Sex makes babies, news flash. Then again idc if they want to get one or not just don't make me pay for it.

You can do whatever you want with your body just don't ask me to pay for it. When you ask the government to pay for something you are giving them power over that thing.

Men and women are different both physically and mentally. Thinking otherwise is silly.
Hey wanna read something worst

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9098984/8/MST3K-The-Fanfiction-Initiative

CallmeBerto

The Lone Wanderer
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
Don't forget about rape victims though. Or kids that genuinely didn't know about this due to their stupid parents and dumb school.

I was wondering when someone was going to me tin rape victims. OK the baby didn't do anything wrong. I mean it's not like they choseem their father so killing it seems wrong.

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Nauru
I was wondering when someone was going to me tin rape victims. OK the baby didn't do anything wrong. I mean it's not like they choseem their father so killing it seems wrong.
Still, we can't expect the woman to go through that. But I expect her to make the decision long before the fetus is formed too much.

Reactions: DRAGONBALLVINTAGE

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Then again idc if they want to get one or not just don't make me pay for it.

I hope one day you are desperately in need of help and it's refused because nobody wants to pay for it.

But I expect her to make the decision long before the fetus is formed too much.

It's not always possible, you have some people who are essentially going through a breakdown where their ability to think rationally has been destroyed.

Not being encumbered by religion, IMO a foetus has potential but it's not human. I could respect a vegan saying that killing foetus is morally wrong, but if you eat anything from an animal but want to ban abortions then you're hypocritical.

Last edited by smf,

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We aren't talking about something that's only made by the woman though. Having a baby involves two people, so they shouldn't have 100% the right if the other person got something to say about that.

I'm also not going to discuss about when the fetus gets "human" enough to become a living being, but yeah, it does happen eventually and IMO we should define a limit. I'd definitely feel not OK for women to abort their 7-months fetuses.

I think the usual scientifically agreed limit is around the third trimester, which is around 6 and a half months I think? I forget. Usually it's around when the fetus can be viable on its own.

And the male can give their input to the lady, but it's up to her. As it requires the female's body to incubate and before it eventually grows into a person, the male hardly has any right to say what happens to the woman's body. If the woman chooses to allow her body to be used as an incubator up until the point that the fetus can live on its own, then you might be able to start a conversation about how the man enters the picture. Yes, this does give the woman the power of choice over she chooses to allow the fertilized cells to eventually either become a person or not. But that's what you get when women are the only ones that can get pregnant. Nature did that part, so it's not something you can just hand-wave away because it's not equal. Their body, their decision.

Though if they choose to go through with it and the man doesn't, there should be some paperwork that the man can sign that doesn't make him liable for the welfare of the kid (but that should only be a thing IF abortion is perfectly accessible with zero negative consequences for the women).

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't think I should be forced to pay for something I consider morally evil at point of gun.

You're morally evil for not helping those in need of abortions, so again I hope you need help because we won't pay for someone who is morally evil like you.

What would be great is if there was a national register, so when you call the police because someone is attacking you then they could just shrug their shoulders.

Though if they choose to go through with it and the man doesn't, there should be some paperwork that the man can sign that doesn't make him liable for the welfare of the kid (but that should only be a thing IF abortion is perfectly accessible with zero negative consequences for the women).

I disagree, it shouldn't just be paperwork as it would be too open to misabuse. However now that women can claim rape if a man has sex with them when they are drunk, men should also be allowed to claim rape if a woman sleeps with them when the man is drunk. A man should obviously not have to financially support a child that was the result of him being raped.

But the woman should have to be prosecuted to get out of it. Equality would solve a lot of the problems.

Last edited by smf,

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Fascinating. Nearly everything you said is wrong. You should probably find new sources for your information.

Last edited by osaka35,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I don't think I should be forced to pay for something I consider morally evil at point of gun.
Tax money doesn't go to abortion services, some goes to Planned Parenthood for other services (like breast cancer screenings). Regardless, we're still forced to pay for things we don't like constantly through taxes. You don't get to pick and choose, otherwise I wouldn't have put up any money for the Iraq and Afghanistan wars.

Last edited by Xzi,
Reactions: Hanafuda

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: wtf is the point of banning swearing in games? that's utterly a dumb decision the new...