What games you shouldn't waste money on.

D

Dork

Before Konami started developing this Metal Gear they asked themselves "What are the elements that make Metal Gear games what they are?" After they got to the answer they decided "Let's throw all these elements away and make a pseudo-movie with interactive action scenes". So instead of the stealth game we knew and loved, we got this.

Except, you know, Metal Gear Solid 4 was nothing like that? It followed the same formula of the other games, but with better enhanced gameplay.

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
All Final Fantasy games cuz they sux ass.

You clearly haven't played FF VI, Chrono Trigger, the DS remakes of III/IV, or the Crystal Chronicles games. (IX, X and XII redeem themselves in some areas while failing in others, but the 3D ones are pretty much corridor simulators) (I also like to think of Xenoblades as a better spiritual successor to FF XII)
Or you're just being evil.
Scratch those ones though and your opinion makes much more sense

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You clearly haven't played FF VI, Chrono Trigger, the DS remakes of III/IV, or the Crystal Chronicles games. (IX, X and XII redeem themselves in some areas while failing in others, but the 3D ones are pretty much corridor simulators) (I also like to think of Xenoblades as a better spiritual successor to FF XII)
Chrono Trigger is not Final Fantasy. As for Final Fantasy VI, it's the only game in the series I tried to play, and I just couldn't stick with it very long. Didn't much care for the battling and the random encounters were really pissing me off. I also recall riding on a chocobo for two hours trying to figure out where the hell I was supposed to be going; the random encounters did not make figuring it out any easier or bearable.

boomario

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Any mario golf game including the recent release for 3ds. I can't seriously understand how someone can like that game.

Jean Karlo

Hacker Aspirant!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ninja Gaiden DS ; Omg, dont even get me started.

Flappy Bird, and any of those ''beat your high score and get extremely irritable when you dont'' games..

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
In fact, Chrono Trigger has been created from what was originally a 2D iteration of the Final Fantasy VII project (before it evolved and became that N64 3D tech demo pitch and eventually the PS1 game we know -and even then some concepts had to wait until VIII to be implemented), mixed with concepts that didn't make it in Final Fantasy IV/Secret of Mana (also originally the same project).
Kind of like Devil May Cry originated from an iteration of the Resident Evil 4 project.
Or Professor Layton originating from an iteration of Atamania (Brain Age-like Akira Tago digital riddle books for the DS, that wouldn't be released until 2009).

Long story short: It begun development as a Final Fantasy game. It still has ATB in the final release, hence I'd like to call it a part of the Final Fantasy series.
I brought it up because saying that FF games suck (ie graphical artifices and no gameplay) implies the ATB battle system is bad, which it isn't.

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Let me add a twist to this instead of listing bad games you shouldn't waste money on, I'll be listing great games that you shouldn't pay the overinflated costs for. Emulation and burning are your friends

Pretty much any turbo CD/PCE CD game especially Cotton, Slyphia, and Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire, if it costs more than $30 loose, don't buy it.

Community Pom is cute, fun, obscure, and a stupidly expensive RPG.

Einhander is one of the best shmups of all time, it's still not something you should throw $80 at.

Lunar and Lunar 2 (all systems), say no to the expensive feelies and yes to burning.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Big_Rigs_-_Over_the_Road_Racing_Coverart.png

This thing. I'm avoiding using the word "game", because that would be giving it more credit than it deserves.

If the 3D ones are corridor simulators, then the 2D ones are cave simulators.
FF9 is one of the best entries in the series.

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Big Rigs is in the class of games you shouldn't waste time or MBs on, it's terrible enough that it shouldn't even be downloaded for free.

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Please, if you love your family and you're a person that stands for all that is right and honorable, please, PLEASE don't buy Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing.

A sneak peek:

By the end of it, I was drying tears of laughter.

EDIT: Sorry did not realize someone had posted it already.

Reactions: osirisjem

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
Oh nice, it's no longer "shitting on popular games because it's cool" or whatever.
Since we are actually dealing with kusoge (aka shitty games), I think Road to Hell: Retribution stays pretty true to its name.

Also on PS3, is the turd named Vividred Operation Hyper Intimate Battle (PS3, PSN-only), and its equally shitty mayonnaise simulator spin-off.
I said this before but avoid Time and Eternity at all costs.

Masochist Wii players can try Pro Golfer Saru, and a game about a cat named Rena.
First is notable for having the lowest Famitsu rating in history (12/40), Second is notable for having the lowest first week sales in history for a non-cancelled game (~100 copies). And for good reason.

Vipera

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First of all, I should ask: what is a waste?
Is a funny-bad title a waste? Is a very short title a waste? What about buggy titles that won't even run? Good titles that are too expensive?
I want to consider those kind of titles that you play once and say "I can't believe I spent X$ on this thing". Then you finish and say "I can't believe I spent X$ and wasted X hours on this thing".
Dream Pinball 3D [PC] is not only the most boring pinball game I've ever played, but also the most wasteful because of how crappy the physics and the movements are. I have never played such a game where I can't feel immersed at all. Spent 2Eur on a Steam key on eBay and trust me, I regret it.
50 Classic Games 3D [3DS] is another waste of time and money. First of all, none of them deserve the price tag of 5Eur, and they don't when you consider them all together because the game is too bugged anyway, and chances are that will freeze. And not a "oh, let's press the HOME button and close", I'm talking about "oh, let's try to turn the console off for a good minute before turning it on again".
Last, but not least, Worms Armageddon 2011 [Android] is probably the worst commercialized Android game I've ever played for one simple reason: the CPU is so dumb that seems it doesn't even exist. Unless you have a dumb friend who loves Worms Armageddon and wants to play a slow, clunky and overall shitty version for 3.50Eur, you are screwed.

There are many, many horrible games I could throw shit on, but these three felt a waste more than anything else. Even more than Final Fantasy III [DS], but I didn't count it because, despite having hated the game I paid full price on due to the childish and off-toning graphics, I recognize some kind of fun I felt while playing it.

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
50 Classic Games 3D [3DS] is another waste of time and money. First of all, none of them deserve the price tag of 5Eur, and they don't when you consider them all together because the game is too bugged anyway, and chances are that will freeze. And not a "oh, let's press the HOME button and close", I'm talking about "oh, let's try to turn the console off for a good minute before turning it on again".

Agreed.

Buggiest game EVER.

I thought I had bricked my DS more than once.

TrapperKeeperX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sonic & the Secret Rings: Hated it and not with playing!
EA Sports games: They come out with the same game every year and they profit on the stupid. (The roster changes I know that but it's a complete waste of money for a roster change.)

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Except, you know, Metal Gear Solid 4 was nothing like that? It followed the same formula of the other games, but with better enhanced gameplay.
They stopped focusing in stealth and started putting too much focus in action. The one thing that unite games as different as MGS and MGS3 is the stealth based gameplay... With MGS4 they seem to try too hard to have a CoD-like game

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You've all got some weird opinions, man. Be careful what you post, and try not to take offense to someones post, ok? I already have a few members im watching because they seem to have an inability to notice a joke post when they see one. Beyond that, this thread has lots of dry kindling and could easily spark a fire.

That said,
u shuldnt waste moniez on nin10do gaems cause they crap

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The game you shouldn't waste money on is Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots.

Before Konami started developing this Metal Gear they asked themselves "What are the elements that make Metal Gear games what they are?" After they got to the answer they decided "Let's throw all these elements away and make a pseudo-movie with interactive action scenes". So instead of the stealth game we knew and loved, we got this.

I've played MGS, MGS2 and MGS3 and found all of them fantastic games. I've been regreting buying this game, heck I don't even have a PS3, I bought it just to play in my friend's console.

I wouldn't say it's any more or less an "interactive movie" than the other games. It's heavy on cutscenes but every MGS is, and it has plenty of gameplay. It could be my favorite game out of the franchise, give or take Snake Eater.

"Interactive movie" is like Beyond: Two Souls, Heavy Rain, or even Asura's Wrath. This hardly counts.

I mean the game is fucking wacky but it has some of the most memorable gaming scenes and there's a lot about it I like. And don't let people tell you "Well it fucked my MGS canon with nanomachines!" because that shit wasn't in the game, it was in the Archive that came out afterwards that just shit over a bunch of canon.

They stopped focusing in stealth and started putting too much focus in action. The one thing that unite games as different as MGS and MGS3 is the stealth based gameplay... With MGS4 they seem to try too hard to have a CoD-like game

It's nothing like Call of Duty holy shit did you even play the game. They added a not-as-shit combat system to it and made the game a bit more approachable in terms of stealth and combat as options. However stealth is still heavily preferred and at times required. The combat system just makes boss battles not so fucking irritating.

I bet you're one of those people who shits on Ground Zeroes for "being an action game" when it's one of the most stealthy entries in the series.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZbUuSmFgMo