Hacking Why is every major dev of the Switch scene pissed about Xecuter's work?

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From their teaser video and post you got that a soft kernel exploit on 2.3 and below is what they have? You have the best read between the lines skills I've ever seen.
see the 180 degree posts by scriers now too ,post TX announcement
he said maybe it is not such a good idea to go to 3.0.0 now after all
they specifically mentioned 2.3.0 , yes it is all speculation and it could be totally wrong we just do not know which is why i said IF it pans out this way

it just seems like to me a hard mod will be needed for 3.0.0 + to get kernel and soft kernel will only be possible on 2.3.0 and below

Last edited by weatMod,

Soluble

Trophies
XP
Country
see the 180 posts by scriers now too he said maybe it is not such a good ideo to go to 3.0.0 now after all
they specifically mentions 2.3.0 , yes it is all speculation and it could be totally wrong we just do not know which is why i said IF it pans out this way
So we have 1 saying stay on 1.0, 1 saying don't go past 2.3, 1 saying get to 3.0 and stay on 3.0 and then TX saying it doesn't matter!

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So we have 1 saying stay on 1.0, 1 saying don't go past 2.3, 1 saying get to 3.0 and stay on 3.0 and then TX saying it doesn't matter!
well they basically said they can get kernel on any FW but this is presumably with a hardmod , i feel like kernel will be possible on 2.3.0 with softmod only and that this is why TX decided to come forward after hearing the 34c3 talk
it is like they are throwing us a bone, they know they will have enough customers for 3.0.0 and above so they don't really care if they miss out on people on 2.3.0 , they seem to be saying ok let them have their softmod and for above they will come to us
the hardmod will also probably still be superior ,maybe having higher OFW will still be better

i am just glad there are going to be options for FW's other than 3.0.0 , a FW with a serious battery bug issue

3.0.0 userland would have stifled the scene in so many different ways i can not see at all why it was their targeted FW

too few units on low FW, required FW with battery drain issues , userland and not being able to play newer titles
the scene would have not gone very far

Last edited by weatMod,

V-Temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The more I think about this, the more I don't think "works on any firmware" means what many think it means.

To be clear, I also really don't believe their futureproof claim at all. Once it's REed solutions will present themselves same as they presented themselves when people tore down the Switch. It's too brazen a claim in very entropic field to really believe.

Absolutes in el-engineering just don't work.

Soluble

Trophies
XP
Country
The more I think about this, the more I don't think "works on any firmware" means what many think it means.

To be clear, I also really don't believe their futureproof claim at all. Once it's REed solutions will present themselves same as they presented themselves when people tore down the Switch. It's too brazen a claim in very entropic field to really believe.

Absolutes in el-engineering just don't work.
If it's a hardware flaw it can't be patched without a hardware revision.

Reactions: Kioku

Kilim

ReiNX Official Dad™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how the flying fuck does any work get done in regards to hacking when the userbase is full of utter manchildren

whatever patience the devs have been blessed with i am so jealous of, because if i had my way absolutely zero of you would get hacks at all ever

EDIT: since people were confused i wasn't bitching about the devs, i was bitching about the people in this thread whining about devs without doing anything

Last edited by Kilim,
D

Deleted User

Not sure if this has been brought up yet, but it could also be a matter of principle. I know for a fact that more than a few devs in the scene firmly believe in open-source software. Having someone sell this service to others is not only a violation of principle to said devs, it's also potentially dangerous (as was seen with Gateway). We don't know what Xecuter may be doing behind the scenes to our Switch consoles.

That being said, while I haven't heard of the team before, they seem like a relatively trustworthy bunch; not the kind who would brick a console just to prevent clones. However, in some cases, trust isn't always enough.

Soluble

Trophies
XP
Country
how the flying fuck does any work get done in regards to hacking when the userbase is full of utter manchildren

whatever patience the devs have been blessed with i am so jealous of, because if i had my way absolutely zero of you would get hacks at all ever
Teasers are designed to make people speculate.

Reactions: weatMod
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

If I had my way I'd release as much piracy shit as possible just to piss these people off. Either they grow up and try to compete or they stop wasting everyone's time with their moaning and go away.

V-Temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it's a hardware flaw it can't be patched without a hardware revision.

Then it's not very futureproof is it? But even beyond that most basic of logical checks, consider that they have to be running some form of software in the boot sequence to accomplish their take over, what makes you think that code is bulletproof and can't be REed and defanged?

Reactions: yardie

Soluble

Trophies
XP
Country
Then it's not very futureproof is it? But even beyond that most basic of logical checks, consider that they have to be running some form of software in the boot sequence to accomplish their take over, what makes you think that code is bulletproof and can't be REed and defanged?
Same reason RGH and JTAG stood the test of time. JTAG was stomped out with hardware revisions. Which lead to RGH which lead to more hardware revisions.

As for future proof, they haven't said it can't be fixed with a hardware revision, in fact they've given us very little... But time will tell.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I see 2 sides to every post here... Man made it, man can break it. Or this isn't this or this isn't that, it's secure it's not the Xbox etc. Back when hard mods were it, everybody believed. The hardmod scene didn't have all this crap because the internet was in its infancy. Now you have a team that has been around since that time telling you they have something and it's good. So tell your neighbours, tell your friends and open up a mod shop because there's money to be made!

And a side note to everyone who can/has modded before this is great. Hardmods are so much more fun :D

Last edited by Soluble,
Reactions: weatMod

satan89

Trophies
XP
Country
India
Lol they wont get no more attention! And it is better that way! Teasing "look at me I can code" get the fuk outta here
Lmfao they seem like children.
Boowhoo someone else exploited the switch before me, get over it.

And before someone says they care about piracy, like these devs owns exploit couldn't possibly bring piracy either. And its not like its the main focus, just a bunch of kids throwing tantrums someone else did it first after the work they put in.

As soon as there's a free alternative to TX's mod, shits like these that I've quoted, will be the first to do a 180 and shower devs with their false praise. I hope they brick their Switches.

I've seen it on the 3DS scene where people were praising Gateway one day, and taking a shit on them when they got cfw. No, I'm not supporting Gateway and their practices, but I do acknowledge they moved the scene forward for a while. They're all happy and hopeful now, but when they have a free cfw, they'll be saying stuff like "You shouldn't have to pay for cfw and piracy, screw TX"

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry double post
i don't think it is going to work out that way this time though i see TX hardmod as probably going to be superior and reversible for all FW
and knowing TX they will most likely eventually have dual boot or some way to allow online
if not at 1st then eventually ,unless it is a plugin DRM solution like a true blue dongle or later GW
where it just basically a DRM plugin device
i have feeling TX will stay relevant for looong time throughout the life of the switch and probably through HW revision even

Yami Anubis ZX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is an alternative to the soft mod as someone has already said, some people are or were angry that once your Switch hits 3.0 and it's on WIFI, if you try deleting that update notification, it won't do it through any methods and will only disappear through an update, while on 2.0 it will disappear through any known method and plus you can accidentally click on it and update and we all know that alot of people on here already updated past 3.0 cause of the notification not going away.

I gave up and updated months ago and knew something like this would happen because of multiple reasons, Switch uses Tegra X1, they rushed early versions out with 1.0, which mine had as mine was a launch and Nintendo got a good deal with Nvidia on these chips as I've heard since these were taken off Nvidias cancelled Shield handheld 2, someone on the Internet found one in some pawn shop in Canada I think and it has the same chipset as the Switch.

Soluble

Trophies
XP
Country
This is an alternative to the soft mod as someone has already said, some people are or were angry that once your Switch hits 3.0 and it's on WIFI, if you try deleting that update notification, it won't do it through any methods and will only disappear through an update, while on 2.0 it will disappear through any known method and plus you can accidentally click on it and update and we all know that alot of people on here already updated past 3.0 cause of the notification not going away.

I gave up and updated months ago and knew something like this would happen because of multiple reasons, Switch uses Tegra X1, they rushed early versions out with 1.0, which mine had as mine was a launch and Nintendo got a good deal with Nvidia on these chips as I've heard since these were taken off Nvidias cancelled Shield handheld 2, someone on the Internet found one in some pawn shop in Canada I think and it has the same chipset as the Switch.
I got rid of the update nag on 3.0?

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

> Nvidias cancelled Shield handheld 2, someone on the Internet found one in some pawn shop in Canada I think and it has the same chipset as the Switch.

pics or it didn't happen

seriously post a sauce on this , if the shield 2 tab was canceled then what ended up in a pawnshop? a prototype ?
i am interested to see what this thing looked like and if it was also actively cooled

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
> Nvidias cancelled Shield handheld 2, someone on the Internet found one in some pawn shop in Canada I think and it has the same chipset as the Switch.

pics or it didn't happen

seriously post a sauce on this , if the shield 2 tab was canceled then what ended up in a pawnshop? a prototype ?
i am interested to see what this thing looked like and if it was also actively cooled
Google is your friend

And yes, a prototype supposedly was taken home and mistakenly sold, or something

aSpookyNinja

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As soon as there's a free alternative to TX's mod, shits like these that I've quoted, will be the first to do a 180 and shower devs with their false praise. I hope they brick their Switches.

I've seen it on the 3DS scene where people were praising Gateway one day, and taking a shit on them when they got cfw. No, I'm not supporting Gateway and their practices, but I do acknowledge they moved the scene forward for a while. They're all happy and hopeful now, but when they have a free cfw, they'll be saying stuff like "You shouldn't have to pay for cfw and piracy, screw TX"
TX is different from Gateway. Gateway hadn't made a name for themselves and were newcomers. TX has been around the modding scenes for 16 years and have released incredible products, including software.

blinkzane

Panic at your moms house
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

pics or it didn't happen

https://www.engadget.com/2017/08/28/nvidias-shield-2-prototype-shows-up-in-a-canadian-pawn-shop/

edit: https://www.reddit.com/r/theNvidiaShield/comments/6vujt5/portable_2/
edit 2 : confirmed dev unit
edit 3 : secondary docs http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/0...e-shield-portable-2-release-still-seems-iffy/

edit 4 : that took me a total of 5 minutes to find. learn how to google.

Last edited by blinkzane,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: ... that's rough buddy