Hacking Why is every major dev of the Switch scene pissed about Xecuter's work?

D

Deleted User

Only if your not careful and cant follow instructions.
Not everyone can use a solidering iron. Some people have incredibly shaky hands, and cannot help it. Plus you have to pay for the board. Isn't it better to have it free instead?

D

Deleted User

The mantle that free is always better is NOT always the case.
Most of the time it is better for a softmod. With a hard mod it's high risk high reward. Screw the hardmod up and not only did you fail to get any type of cfw, but now you have to buy a brand new switch. Softmods may have high risk sometimes, but most of the time the risk is lowered since people create a program/homebrew to install it safely, or skip installing anything entirely. A example would be the wiiu, mostly everything is just done in memory. And because it's memory, you cannot screw up all that badly.
There are always shops that can do the work for a noob...
But those in small towns have no chances. They would have to send their switch else where, or go a couple thousand miles to find a place that could do it for them.

Last edited by ,

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I prefer a hardmode my self with a chip...

I still use gateway emunand on my 3DS and I don't want to customise my original nand and I guess I like the added second micro SD and the features of the gateway while also being able to install CIA files...

4 me, the more extra features the chip brings the better, hope TX really make something special and if they officially support installing something like XBMC I would kiss their but.

Soluble

Trophies
XP
Country
I prefer a hardmode my self with a chip...

I still use gateway emunand on my 3DS and I don't want to customise my original nand and I guess I like the added second micro SD and the features of the gateway while also being able to install CIA files...

4 me, the more extra features the chip brings the better, hope TX really make something special and if they officially support installing something like XBMC I would kiss their but.
XBMC(now Kodi) coming to the switch will have nothing to do with TX. Once the floodgate is opened the Kodi team may look at porting it to the switch though.

It's not something I think the switch needs. But if it can be done, why not!

nikeymikey

This is now a Spiderman thread.........
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Most of the time it is better for a softmod. With a hard mod it's high risk high reward. Screw the hardmod up and not only did you fail to get any type of cfw, but now you have to buy a brand new switch. Softmods may have high risk sometimes, but most of the time the risk is lowered since people create a program/homebrew to install it safely, or skip installing anything entirely. A example would be the wiiu, mostly everything is just done in memory. And because it's memory, you cannot screw up all that badly.

But those in small towns have no chances. They would have to send their switch else where, or go a couple thousand miles to find a place that could do it for them.

If you go back a few console generations you will find that hard mods always came before softmods. It’s only the last few gens that the console manufacturers have really managed to avoid hard mods. So really if a hard is comes first for the switch it’s only following historical patterns.

geodeath

Trophies
XP
Country
Not everyone can use a solidering iron. Some people have incredibly shaky hands, and cannot help it. Plus you have to pay for the board. Isn't it better to have it free instead?

If you cannot use a soldering iron then have somebody do it for you or use a softmod. I always go for hardmod if there are benefits (i.e. unless softmod is able to do absolutely everything the hardmod will) and my hands shake quite a bit. Hacking electronics and meddling with my stuff, as well as making them better (all my retro consoles have RGB out even if not by default, i added it myself, RGB amps, region mods, hard mods etc) is a very satisfying hobby, to the point where i spent a long time getting better at soldering and getting the right tools.

People do not understand how much proper tools and proper use helps. I found out the hard way by finding small tips here and there. Now i can solder pretty much everything apart from very few and tiresome jobs such as massive recappings (turbo duo, amigas etc) or too many tiny bits like the ps2 slim mods.

People who get into this hobby do not do it strictly for pirating, i have modded quite a lot of things for friends and customers and you can save quite a lot of money for yourself by modding something yourself (such as modding your own gba to make it backlit rather than buying a modded one, we are talking about half the price!)

But yeah, not for everyone for sure.

aSpookyNinja

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also a great way of killing your system. Hard mods aren't noob friendly, and that's a good thing. And the 3ds wii, would like to speak with you in regards of recovering from bricks
As much as this may sound like gatekeeping, if they can't perform a simple 12-pin solder or at least pay someone to do it, they shouldn't have access to custom firmware or software. As for it being a great way to kill the system, unless you do something stupid like melting a half foot of wire when trying to solder, most of it can be fixed easily. Hardmods are the safest solution since there's no risk of it fucking up your nand. With ALL 'permanent' softmod solutions, there is a higher chance of a fuckup than using a hardmod. It's not like TX doesn't test their hardware a ton before releasing it. And if there's a problematic piece of hardware in a batch, TX will replace it for you.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As much as this may sound like gatekeeping, if they can't perform a simple 12-pin solder or at least pay someone to do it, they shouldn't have access to custom firmware or software. As for it being a great way to kill the system, unless you do something stupid like melting a half foot of wire when trying to solder, most of it can be fixed easily. Hardmods are the safest solution since there's no risk of it fucking up your nand. With ALL 'permanent' softmod solutions, there is a higher chance of a fuckup than using a hardmod. It's not like TX doesn't test their hardware a ton before releasing it. And if there's a problematic piece of hardware in a batch, TX will replace it for you.

Even if people don't know how to solder or never soldered? Sounds pretty risky to me.

asialsky

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't need a steady hand to push buttons. Also claiming that only idiots are not capable of very fine motor control is discrimination against people with ALS or Parkinsons.
Heck, I don't have either of those and STILL find soldering hard due to shaky hands.

...of course, my nerves are damaged from getting stuck under an electric fence, so I may be a minority here.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

asialsky

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Might I just ask how? Just interested.
Getting stuck? Well you see, crawling under a fence designed to keep horses in in order to retrieve something is fine and dandy, but be aware that it may decide to arc to the back of your head if you get too close to the wire on a return trip. I couldn't get out from under it because being zapped was stunning me.

Turns out the human brain goes blank when exposed to pulses of high voltage DC.

Last edited by asialsky,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Andrew Jacobson

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hedgeberg sure as shit isn't helping their image.

Screen Shot 2018-01-16 at 6.40.32 PM.png

not salty btw

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo