Funko to release new AAA action platformer from the director of the LEGO Star Wars games

Funko, the company that made a splash with its incredibly popular line of licensed Pop! figurines, has decided to enter the videogame marketplace. Its first game will also be the first release from 10.10 Games, a new studio formed in 2021 by Jon Burton. Burton has a storied career in videogames, founding developer Traveler's Tales in 1989, who would go on to be well-known for their series of licensed LEGO videogames. Burton directed several of these titles, such as the first three LEGO Star Wars games, LEGO Indiana Jones and the first two LEGO Batman games.

This Funko Pop! game, described as a "AAA action platformer" with "major third-party studio integration," stars Freddy Funko, a crown-wearing Pop! figurine who acts as the company's official mascot. While there was no mention or hints at licensed franchises appearing in the game, Funko CEO Andrew Perlmutter indicated that every product portfolio decision is made with the goal "emotionally connect[ing] fans to their favorite fandoms," so it's likely we'll see some licensed franchises here. Funko and 10.10 Games are also expecting a T for Teen rating from the ESRB, possibly indicating some more mature franchises may be appearing.

While this is the first game produced with direct influence from Funko, the Pop! aesthetic has been used before, with the free-to-play real-time strategy mobile game Gears Pop! which used Pop! versions of Gears of War characters.

The as-yet-untitled Funko Pop! videogame is expected to launch in 2023.

:arrow: Source

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gah, perhaps the game will be good but

How do these things sell? They have zero artistic merit and sell for an overly inflated price

I don't understand why anyone buys these cookie cutter figurines for often more than it would cost to actually get a faithful representation of a character

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The trailer for the supposed platformer with no platforming shown and questionable production values didn't sell you?
I didn’t watch the trailer. I literally saw the title of this thread and that was enough for us ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Cris1997XX

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Most games made by Travellers Tales are amazing technically but shit gameplay-wise, and Jon Burton has been in the business since the Amiga days, hired by the lowest bidder. As much as I like Toy Story 1, 2 and Sonic 3D Blast, it's about time he retires

StrayGuitarist

A genuine feline disaster.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I seriously despise the unsettling, zero-effort Pop figurines, especially since most companies also produce figurines with actual detail and in most cases, articulation. The pop aesthetic will be gross, especially with how annoyingly generic the backgrounds will be. But the Lego Star Wars games are famous for a reason, so I'm not completely dismissing it.

Reactions: x65943

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
The only pops I buy are the venon/venomized and carnage pops and even then it's only cause I'm a fan of them. I don't care for the pops themselves.
O good friend of mine is a Pikachu freak. She get everything Pikachu related, her bedroom is Pikachu yellow (despite being 35 or so). Even she couldn't tank the hit of buying a Pikachu Funko. This says a lot: even an adult lady that has a yellow bedroom found funkos aesthetically unpleasant.

wartutor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im waiting for them to add ntf's and make it like lego dementions or skylanders. Try and make people buy their over priced garbage.

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bet you anything it'll be a free-to-play live service game where you have to buy pops of characters you like with real money, or you get stuck with default boring pop thats abilities suck

Reactions: x65943

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    I would pay for watching someone eat food from the floor.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, stop spending the videos' budget on food
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    No I've never even been to the site(honestly) but have heard of it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm half way at my savings for a new move
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Like a karate move? The flying dragon is cool.
    @BigOnYa if you've never been to the site how do you know about its contents?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Can he do a shoryuken?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @HiradeGirl, cuz of people mentioning it everywhere
    +1
    Someone here introduced me to it. Not gonna say who.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Everybody knows what that site about, and you can't read normal news anymore without hearing about it
    But it's degrading and disgusting.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @HiradeGirl, was it Juan?
    Juan who?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its just seductive pics right? I mean they don't show nudity, do they?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @HiradeGirl, you know who is juan
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    isn't onlyfans just another creepy site of fake AI generated ''women''?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Not Ai women but women who's bodies are walking Atm machines
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds like scam bait
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    so they collect ''donations''?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Well gofundme doesn't accept vagina they just do that off the site
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    guess they just sell spicy fling material
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: