Funko to release new AAA action platformer from the director of the LEGO Star Wars games

Funko, the company that made a splash with its incredibly popular line of licensed Pop! figurines, has decided to enter the videogame marketplace. Its first game will also be the first release from 10.10 Games, a new studio formed in 2021 by Jon Burton. Burton has a storied career in videogames, founding developer Traveler's Tales in 1989, who would go on to be well-known for their series of licensed LEGO videogames. Burton directed several of these titles, such as the first three LEGO Star Wars games, LEGO Indiana Jones and the first two LEGO Batman games.

This Funko Pop! game, described as a "AAA action platformer" with "major third-party studio integration," stars Freddy Funko, a crown-wearing Pop! figurine who acts as the company's official mascot. While there was no mention or hints at licensed franchises appearing in the game, Funko CEO Andrew Perlmutter indicated that every product portfolio decision is made with the goal "emotionally connect[ing] fans to their favorite fandoms," so it's likely we'll see some licensed franchises here. Funko and 10.10 Games are also expecting a T for Teen rating from the ESRB, possibly indicating some more mature franchises may be appearing.

While this is the first game produced with direct influence from Funko, the Pop! aesthetic has been used before, with the free-to-play real-time strategy mobile game Gears Pop! which used Pop! versions of Gears of War characters.

The as-yet-untitled Funko Pop! videogame is expected to launch in 2023.

:arrow: Source

dragonblood9999

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
O good friend of mine is a Pikachu freak. She get everything Pikachu related, her bedroom is Pikachu yellow (despite being 35 or so). Even she couldn't tank the hit of buying a Pikachu Funko. This says a lot: even an adult lady that has a yellow bedroom found funkos aesthetically unpleasant.
I don't blame her, they all look so lifeless.
Also who doesn't like Pikachu? I would do the same if I had the room.

One of my Best friends is a Funko Pop collector. He said the last time he counted, he had over 1000 of them.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I hate Funko Pops, but I have to admire their ability to market their product. They really are highly collectible, reminds me of Ty plushies back in the day. I personally know people who have entire walls made out of unopened Funko figures in their houses. I don’t understand it, but I respect the hustle. It’s surprising that they’re only monetising them this way now, it makes perfect sense with the success of LEGO games in mind.

Guacaholey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do people actually like funko pops?
I don't but I have a Dragonoid one because the idea of Bakugan Funko Pops being made in 2021 and 2022 is hilarious to me cause it's such an obscure thing to license, especially when it's the characters from a kids' anime from 15 years ago.

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Little Big Planet kind of thing?
The only kind of AAA (whatever that means in this day and age) game that can be filled with more useless merchandise.

Purple_Shyguy

Trophies
XP
Country
Gah, perhaps the game will be good but

How do these things sell? They have zero artistic merit and sell for an overly inflated price

I don't understand why anyone buys these cookie cutter figurines for often more than it would cost to actually get a faithful representation of a character

Hormones in tap water supply cause this

1B51004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WOWWEE WOWZERS!!! A GAME BASED OF FUNKY POPPERZZ?!?!?!? DAY ONE PREORDER FOR ME!!! HOPEFULLY IT COMES WITH A EXCLUSIVE FUNKO POPIES SO I CAN POST IT TO R/FUNKOPOPS AND GET MAXIMUM KARMA FOR MY WHOLESOME DEED!!!

lel

Reactions: orangy57

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The *only* funko pop figures that even look halfway good are those not based on human characters. The alakazam one was legit, as was mewtwo. Otherwise I agree. I have zero interest in this or the majority of their products. And it still boggles my mind last time I went into a mall and saw a store dedicated to these things. Most of them are just fugly.

KitChan

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Not to derail the hate train, but Jon Burton has made some great and technically impressive games over the years and seems like a great guy, so I hope this will be a success and lead to other (non-Funko) games from his new studio.
I'm concerned the gameplay will be great, but it will flop due to noone wanting a Funko Pop game and that will hurt the studio's ability to stay afloat to make an untarnished game afterwards.

genxor

Trophies
XP
Country
Easy game to make. You boot it up and it shows you a funko figure. All you can do is look at it. You lose points for damaging the box. If you take it out of the box your life decreases significantly. The game then asks if you care about the environment. If you answer yes it calls you an idiot and takes the rest of your life points and it's game over.

If you say no you are rewarded with the chance to buy another DLC figure to look at. You must pose it for a social media post within the hour though or the game will take it away because you clearly don't appreciate it. What's the point of owning this future landfill if you don't show it off?

Basic edition is $70. It's AAA after all!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: CRAZY HAMBURGER