Games You Wish You Could Unplay

aXXo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Assassin's Creed 3. That game had so many things wrong with it, it's irritating me now even thinking about it. The most enjoyable part was literally the first 1 hour and a half, mostly because it had so much going for it at first. I actually find it offensive that the game went to hell the second you set foot in America.

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
None of them, because it's too much fun to share common experiences. I.E. LJN titles. I think the only one I actually enjoyed in a 2600 kind of way was Jaws. Everything else was HORRIBLE, though I did manage to beat Rambo. Then again, when you are 12, your NES library is limited, and you generally only get new games for Christmas, or a cheap one once in a blue moon sometime through out the rest of the year...
...well then you kind of play what you have. And besides, back then it was hard to to what was a bad game and what wasn't because 2D side scrolling mechanics and what have you were still being fleshed out and perfected, so technically, even Rambo was a drastic improvement over many old 2600 games such as Smurfs, though I still love Smurfs and can deal with it's quirky controls just fine!

Reactions: Thomas83Lin

Saturosias

thank
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ninjabread Man. I knew what I was getting into. I legitimately thought there was going to be an ending after my hours of frustration.

NOPE. There was LITERALLY no ending sequence. Most offensive part was arguably, as Wiiviewr put it, the "Quality Assurance" team in the credits. Mother of God.

cdoty

Trophies
Website
www.rastersoft.net
XP
Country
United States
E.T. on atari 2600.

E.T. sucks now, but I don't remember it being horrible back in the day. The controls sucked, and falling in a hole was ridiculous.

But, the game wasn't that much different than the standard Atari 2600 fare. Or... I was just playing a lot of crappy games at the time.

Now, Pac-man for the Atari 2600. That was crap.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Personally when I played it it was way too easy and the whole rental thing just did not sit well with me. Do not get me wrong, I loved the different direction they tried taking it, but it just felt poorly executed and for me the rental thing really degraded the experience.
I didn't hate the rental system, but that could've definitely handled it in a much cooler way. I wouldn't have minded having to search for the items in the overworld, like the original Zelda or aLttP.
Please stop talking about Skyward Sword being easy/hand-holdy; I played that piece of shit for six months, even with all the "helpful" hints from Fi that I read. You weren't forced to use them, btw. I've heard people say the hints Fi gave were way too revealing and have always wondered at this. I would read the same hint maybe 5 times and still wouldn't understand it. Hence, I avoided using them as much as possible. It was only when I would start to rage that I would read them, and then, I would rage when I couldn't understand the stupid thing. But I trooped through the game like any gamer would've done and finished it. But, to save myself from further anguish and misery I would have a few weeks later, I didn't complete it in Hero Mode.

Edit: I might add that SS is the only game I've played where I've raged.
I never said Skyward Sword was easy, I just said that it held your hand a lot, and it did, way worse than any Zelda game to date, so much to the point that it isn't really a matter of opinion. You could ignore a good number of the hand-holding options, but there was an even greater number that you couldn't. Fi was constantly interrupting with forced cut scenes explaining obvious stuff to you (many of which you couldn't skip), even to the point that she was giving you obvious hints to dungeon puzzles before even giving you a chance to try them yourself. And her constant nagging/beeping was exponentially worse than Navi, always reminding you of your health, shield, and even batteries when they were low, and wouldn't quit until you hit the button to listen to her. In fact, it may very well be the most hand-holdy game I've ever played.
I don't think you actually know the full extent of what hand-holding is. A general definition of hand-holding is an unnecessary feature (or lack thereof) that decreases the difficulty of a game in a general sense. This can be constant tutorials throughout a game, "pushes" in the "right direction" (or hints as you mentioned), easy access to quest/important items, nerfed enemies/super strong player character, no penalties for deaths/infinite lives, etc. Not only does giving you all the extras in the beginning of the game detract from the overall difficulty, it also shortens the dungeons which were some of the funner parts of Zelda.
All I can really say in response to this is that I've never, ever heard of the term hand-holding being applied to ease or nerfing of difficulty. Following that definition, aLttP is hand-holdy because it's exponentially easier than Zelda or Zelda II on the NES.

I mean, I'm not trying to defend the rental system or anything (though I didn't hate it), but I really do believe hand-holdy is a inaccurate and misleading criticism of the game.

I'm going to stop here though, so this thread doesn't become completely Zelda-centric. :P

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think you actually know the full extent of what hand-holding is. A general definition of hand-holding is an unnecessary feature (or lack thereof) that decreases the difficulty of a game in a general sense. This can be constant tutorials throughout a game, "pushes" in the "right direction" (or hints as you mentioned), easy access to quest/important items, nerfed enemies/super strong player character, no penalties for deaths/infinite lives, etc. Not only does giving you all the extras in the beginning of the game detract from the overall difficulty, it also shortens the dungeons which were some of the funner parts of Zelda.

While this whole system lets you do whatever you want in the overworld which is nice, you're left without a feeling of achievement a majority of the time, which is like...sort of the whole point of playing video games, to achieve something. Which is what happened to me, I had no motivation to continue the game because I never
really achieved anything on my own, it was just given to me in some silly way.

I somewhat agree with Ryu, it was a different direction which is good for same-y series like Zelda, but it was too poorly executed to make the game truly fun. Perhaps something that would've helped would be a system where you can only rent a couple items at a time and you unlock more "slots" for items or something while exploring the dungeons.

But then again I guess that's a matter of preference than anything, so meh.

ALBW has to be the most non-linear Zelda to-date. You can solve each dungeon in the order you want to, with no hints if that's your kind of gig. As someone who hasn't found a Zelda game difficult since Master Quest, or Zelda II/I, I hate to say it, but that's a product of you getting older. Puzzles are not getting easier, you're just smarter. Zelda these days needs to reach a very wide audience in the first place. The aging fan base is no longer the main target, so Nintendo need to keep it dumbed down.

To be sure, I think the biggest issue with ALBW is the lack of incentive. I think what they should have done was simply made key items available from the get-go, and had upgraded items hidden in dungeons. Say you had the hookshot. Sure you could get over some gorges, but with the upgraded shot, you could get over all. This is the biggest issue with the Zelda series is incentive. 2-D Zeldas primarily. What I'm more angry about is the stupid weather vanes telling me to take a god damned break.

_v3

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
This piece of crap. Worst game in the franchise.

538px-North_American_Cover_Art_KH3D.png

ilman

Gbatemp's Official Noise Eraser
Trophies
XP
Country

What's wrong with it? I thought it was pretty solid. :mellow:
Well...that's coming from a person who enjoyed 179 Days, so :P.
The worst game in the franchise would be Chain of Memories. Of all possible ways to take on dynamic battles, why choose something as static as cards?
I just can't play through the damn game just because of its combat system.

Reactions: lordofthereef

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States

I never played the main games on PS2, so I can't compare, but I didn't enjoy this one either. The gameplay was halfway decent at best, and voice acting, characters, and writing were laughably cheesy in a really bad, self-important way that only Square Enix could possibly pull off

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Worse than the DS games:unsure: ?

I never understood what people hated about 358/2 days. Except that Sora ended up ruining it in the end as usual. Worst character ever. I'd still say it's one of the only playable KH games, along with BBS. Since neither featured Sora.

_v3

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Worse than the DS games:unsure: ?
Yes. 358/2 Days was decent, DDD is crap.
What's wrong with it? I thought it was pretty solid. :mellow:
Well...that's coming from a person who enjoyed 179 Days, so :P.
The worst game in the franchise would be Chain of Memories. Of all possible ways to take on dynamic battles, why choose something as static as cards?
I just can't play through the damn game just because of its combat system.
Chain of Memories was the second game in the entry and Square Enix tried something new with the combat system (it failed, reason we don't see it anymore). The story is what drew KH fans to play. I played KH1 > KH2 and then CoM, which explained so much shit that I didn't understand (mostly why is organization 13 half dead)

In fairness Kingdom Hearts has always been shit.
No. Kingdom Hearts 2 and BbS were excellent, give them a shot if you ever get the time (get the Final mix versions, since those versions got more content).

I never understood what people hated about 358/2 days. Except that Sora ended up ruining it in the end as usual. Worst character ever. I'd still say it's one of the only playable KH games, along with BBS. Since neither featured Sora.
I too think that Sora is a whiny bitch, but what can ya do? BBS is amazing.

Anyways to top off what I said, DDD is a boring (really boring) drag all the way through. The story is just there (irrelevant) and the ending doesn't even make sense.
Why does Sora after waking up go to Traverse Town, and more importantly why does he fucking meet the Dream Eaters which are supposed to be only in his FREAKIN DREAMS???
Sora failing the Mark of Mastery Exam is no surprise, seeing as Square Enix needed an excuse to make KH3 happen after all these years. On the other hand Riku passing the Mark of Mastery exam is a freakin surprise, seeing as how he let darkness take over (twice).
Dream Eaters are the worst type of helpers you can have, they're dumb even on the highest difficulty, and they are useless (except for the abilities that are FREAKIN' TIED TO THESE GOD DAMN IMBECILES) + there's like a million of these to collect (try getting a * on every dream eater and maxing all of their affinities level at 9 to get a single stupid trophy).
Flick Rush is goddamn stupid, not only is it the worst minigame so far, but it's also goddamn hard to get a * rank on all of the battles.

TL;DR DDD sucks, avoid it at all costs (unless you're a die hard KH fan)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work