XP
Country
Canada

RyoX9

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Was this easy to do? I'm going to swap the motherboard soon to 3.60. If I can do this at the same time while opening it, that would be nice.
it was easy but the hard and dangerous part is disassembling the PSvita and S7 edge Battery, s7 battery was easy to disassemble just be careful but extracting the controller from PSvita battery was the hard part as battery and the controller is wrapped in plastic,just make sure not to damage the controller and do not confuse negative with positive.

Reactions: Simonius007

Breadland

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just ordered a 3.7v 4000 mAh 606090 LiPo battery from eBay.

Once it arrives in the mail I'll be following this video.

Does anyone have any tips on how to disassemble the original Vita battery to extract the charging circuit?

And thanks Simonius007 for being the first guy to have a proper single batter mod for the Vita and posting the instructions online!

invaderyoyo

invader
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But what about the post (on Reddit) called "Questions about the expanded battery mod from a while back."
It is really an encyclopedia about why NOT to mod the PSVita battery.
The first reply is BS, plain and simple. The guy says one of two things can happen, but neither of those happened to me.

What actually happened was that it worked fine for a while, but soon stopped working completely and I had to replace the battery with a legit vita one. I didn't get any of the charging funny business he mentions.

Knowing what I know now, no I would not recommend this mod.

I performed this mod on a spare scratched up Vita so it wasn't one of the Vita's I use regularly.

Zukov

Dinosaur
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
The first reply is BS, plain and simple. The guy says one of two things can happen, but neither of those happened to me.

What actually happened was that it worked fine for a while, but soon stopped working completely and I had to replace the battery with a legit vita one. I didn't get any of the charging funny business he mentions.

Knowing what I know now, no I would not recommend this mod.

I performed this mod on a spare scratched up Vita so it wasn't one of the Vita's I use regularly.
It seems you get the same message as it's author: do not mod the Vita battery.

Simonius007

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Happy that people like my mod and following, making video tutorials (plagiarism), they should mention me at list with the link to this tread.

Breadland

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Happy that people like my mod and following, making video tutorials (plagiarism), they should mention me at list with the link to this tread.
Can you tell me how to take apart the original Vita battery to get the charging circuit?

I don't want to accidentally pierce the inside of it and set it on fire.

I can see that there are 2 stickers, one on the top and one on the bottom. I guess you remove those first?

Instructions would really be helpful.

Breadland

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Can you tell me how to take apart the original Vita battery to get the charging circuit?

I don't want to accidentally pierce the inside of it and set it on fire.

I can see that there are 2 stickers, one on the top and one on the bottom. I guess you remove those first?

Instructions would really be helpful.

Nvm, I managed to take it apart successfully! I first took off the two stickers covering the battery.

MkVXH
and
BY8xH

Then it exposed this line going down the middle where I could pry the aluminum housing apart.
wMOwv

At this point you have to put something small and flat on the top to pry the two halves apart. Since the very top contains the charging circuit with a plastic shell covering it, don't worry about putting any pressure as the battery is further down.

OtBPT

Then go all around the top removing the aluminum layer. You should see the positive and negative tabs from the battery connecting to the charging circuit which is covered in plastic.

I then managed to sort of pull on the wire that connects to the Vita and get the left half of the charging circuit loose. With a pair of nair clippers and scissor I managed to cut away the other side and the battery and charging circuit came loose.

Then I didn't even need to desolder the two tabs. I pulled on them carefully and put my nail underneath to separate them.

Then I soldered the negative and positive wires from my LiPo battery to the respective terminals.

Don't worry, they're both labeled on the battery and charging circuit.

Before I took the battery apart I cut away the plastic on the Vita's back shell. There was enough space to put everything in.

Right now I'm charging it without fully closing the cover just incase something goes wrong.

Sorry for not taking pictures when disassembling the battery, I was too nervous. I can show you the aftermath :P

Z7Knu

As you can see it's currently charging while the new battery is connected. Hopefully it charges to it's full capacity.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Not sure why the images aren't showing, but right clicking the IMG, copying the address, and pasting it on your browser should work for now.

I'm not sure how to attach images to a post atm.

Attachments

• s-l1600 - Copy.jpg
    s-l1600 - Copy.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 631
  • IMG_20180321_184716.jpg
    IMG_20180321_184716.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 649
  • IMG_20180321_184732.jpg
    IMG_20180321_184732.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 618
  • IMG_20180321_184800.jpg
    IMG_20180321_184800.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 739
  • IMG_20180321_184814.jpg
    IMG_20180321_184814.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,274
  • back.jpg
    back.jpg
    309.8 KB · Views: 603
  • front.jpg
    front.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 589
  • s-l1600 - Copy (2).jpg
    s-l1600 - Copy (2).jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 578
Last edited by Breadland,
Reactions: Simonius007

Breadland

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
it was easy but the hard and dangerous part is disassembling the PSvita and S7 edge Battery, s7 battery was easy to disassemble just be careful but extracting the controller from PSvita battery was the hard part as battery and the controller is wrapped in plastic,just make sure not to damage the controller and do not confuse negative with positive.

Wait so did you disconnect the charging circuit from the S7 Edge battery too? Connecting the Vita circuit directly to the battery? Or did you connect the Vita battery one to the S7 Edge charging circuit?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: By then I'll have some little mini pc anyway