• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

What do you think is more harmful to the world? Racists, or religious fanatics?

lolcatzuru

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We know it was written by men and amended several times. You really believe god said, "only LAND-OWNING MEN get any rights?" Or do you think maybe it was land-owning men who put that stuff in there?

im not familiar with that particular verse, but even i know you arent obtuse enough to say since one line is silly that its all silly.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
im not familiar with that particular verse, but even i know you arent obtuse enough to say since one line is silly that its all silly.
I'm paraphrasing obviously, there are too many verses similar to that to list them all. After the majority of the population learned to read, that should've been the end of religion as people were made aware of the fact that their priests and pastors were all deceiving and manipulating them. Yet we still have people falling for the same scam today, and allowing their priest/pastor to dictate how they think, talk, act, and vote. Even Apple fanboys question the brand occasionally, but not Evangelicals and Southern Baptists. Perfect little "They Live" zombies.

• Love
Reactions: WalterSlovotsky

WalterSlovotsky

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm paraphrasing obviously, there are too many verses similar to that to list them all. After the majority of the population learned to read, that should've been the end of religion as people were made aware of the fact that their priests and pastors were all deceiving and manipulating them. Yet we still have people falling for the same scam today, and allowing their priest/pastor to dictate how they think, talk, act, and vote. Even Apple fanboys question the brand occasionally, but not Evangelicals and Southern Baptists. Perfect little "They Live" zombies.
HOW WERE WE EVER BEEFING?!

Reactions: Xzi

lolcatzuru

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

i see you dodged the thing that made you look bad, as usual.

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
religious fanatics

they use "the word of god" as their excuse for their behavior. Worse yet, they feel they have a lifebound duty to make everyone believe and behave like they do.

....It's the worst when they infiltrate our government and do the above.

Reactions: JaapDaniels and Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
i see you dodged the thing that made you look bad, as usual.
How the fuck is acknowledging your issue with what I said in the first few words of my rebuttal the same thing as dodging it? My only mistake was assuming you were smart enough to understand paraphrasing without me spelling it out for you.

lolcatzuru

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How the fuck is acknowledging your issue with what I said in the first few words of my rebuttal the same thing as dodging it? My only mistake was assuming you were smart enough to understand paraphrasing without me spelling it out for you.

who hurt you man seriously insults again already

• Haha

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Let me put it this way then: history ultimately doesn't give a fuck about a bunch of greedy old men arguing about how to best interpret a work of fiction to their own benefit. All religion was ever good for was slowing progress, so if you wanna call it "history," it should stay in the past. Otherwise it just ends up producing garbage people like you.

I get that you are mad that religion exists, but it doesn't make me responsible for that. Calling me garbage just for disagreeing with you is pretty ridiculous. Some people would rather put faith in a "fake god" and enjoy a sense of community as opposed to living like you. I find that to be understandable. Some things are just more real.

Then you can simply not reply to it and let people who are actually here for conversation do it instead. "Faith vs religion" is actually a pretty interesting topic, but as with everything else, you make it seem shallow and boring with your total lack of insight.

The discussion you want to have and what I said are unrelated. Sorry that you wasted your time in responding to me. I will also mention that it is a contradiction to credit my insight as a "total lack of insight".

Last edited by tabzer,

titan_tim

(Can't shut up)
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I can somewhat understand if you've never heard it if you've only been spoon-fed the happy-friendly verses in church sermons. They tend to shy away from the genocide, misogyny, slavery, etc. But you can be sure that they're in there, and they're quite horrendous.

To think that there is only one line in the bible that is horrible and/or outdated is being obtuse. You DO know that there are many MANY problematic verses that just don't work well in todays society, correct?

Here's just one for a sample. If you're hungry for more, I'll gladly teach you:

"You shall acknowledge no God but me. . . . You are destroyed, Israel. . . . The people of Samaria must bear their guilt, because they have rebelled against their God. They will fall by the sword; their little ones will be dashed to the ground, their pregnant women ripped open." (Hosea 13:4, 9, 16)

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Calling me garbage just for disagreeing with you is pretty ridiculous.
It doesn't matter if you disagree, facts don't care about your feelings. Which makes it all the more ridiculous that we're still discussing this, when you could've just taken the note and moved on with your life, it didn't require any response at all.

Some people would rather put faith in a "fake god" and enjoy a sense of community as opposed to living like you.
See faith I have no issue with. Seeking spiritual enlightenment in almost any sense is a noble goal, and most religious texts provide some worthwhile lessons/parables. Religion, OTOH, can often be detrimental to those looking to practice a faith without a whole lot of red tape and red flags getting in the way.

The discussion you want to have and what I said are unrelated. Sorry that you wasted your time in responding to me. I will also mention that it is a contradiction to credit my insight as a "total lack of insight".
Ignorance is not equivalent to insight, and opinions are not equivalent to facts.

lolcatzuru

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can somewhat understand if you've never heard it if you've only been spoon-fed the happy-friendly verses in church sermons. They tend to shy away from the genocide, misogyny, slavery, etc. But you can be sure that they're in there, and they're quite horrendous.

To think that there is only one line in the bible that is horrible and/or outdated is being obtuse. You DO know that there are many MANY problematic verses that just don't work well in todays society, correct?

Here's just one for a sample. If you're hungry for more, I'll gladly teach you:

"You shall acknowledge no God but me. . . . You are destroyed, Israel. . . . The people of Samaria must bear their guilt, because they have rebelled against their God. They will fall by the sword; their little ones will be dashed to the ground, their pregnant women ripped open." (Hosea 13:4, 9, 16)

well society can have a problem with that they so choose. also, idk if you are an alt for the other guy or not, because both of you are intentionally ignoring what i said. I understand the bible was changed, i get it, i didnt wanna play my ace card but you arent leaving me alot of options " ye shall not sqaure off the side of ones hair " or whatever, yes, i get it its weird, but that doesnt make the entirety of the book untrue, i mean shit we revise our history all the time, that doesnt mean the events didnt happen, Once again i know you and the other guy who's name i can't remember arent that obtuse.

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
more like the neo nazis and political wackjobs extrreme right (example MTG) are the MOST dangerous people have said they wanted to scap our entire constitution and rewrite it,people currently in office, the extreeme right is calling for a second civil war treason at it's highest these politcal hacks need to be held accountable, it isn't 1st amendment protected to call for a coup to overthrow the government never has been but they get away with it

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Some GBATemp members pose more of a threat, judging by the topics and comments I've read
The status quo should be threatened. It's already been twisted to the point of unrecognizable by the aforementioned racists and religious fanatics. They've even got their claws in the education system, with extremist groups like "Moms for Liberty" slowly taking over schools.

Reactions: titan_tim

realtimesave

///AMG
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
racists. and they come in all forms, shapes, and colors. I can't get along with white racists, and I can't get along with black racists. I hate them all.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Let me know when you drop some real facts that contradict what I say. Not fake ones like "religion is institutional by definition".
It's a fact that hurts your feelings (somehow), that doesn't make it "fake." Faith is individual, aka non-institutional by definition. You can pretend the Roman Catholic Church changed things drastically as much as you want, but religion was all about gathering at churches and listening to a holy man speak since its inception. You can practice a faith and be non-religious. You can participate in a religion without holding any actual faith.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Thanks for signing up at LinusTechTips
  • QuarterCut @ QuarterCut:
    holey shmoley!
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Your credit card has been charged. Thank you.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Your screwdriverPlus will arrive in three weeks
    +1
  • QuarterCut @ QuarterCut:
    K64_Waddle_Dee_Artwork_1.jpg

my reaction to such information
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Press 1 for English. Press 2 for Pig Latin. Or press 3 to speak to a representative.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, i need help, i got into an argument about what genre radioactive is, and i forgot who made it
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @BakerMan, Imagine Dragons
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Dragon deez nuts across yo face GOTEEM
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    lmao now I realize that was probably the joke in the first place
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    IMAGINE DRAGON DEEZ NUTS ACROSS YO- FUCK HE BEAT ME TO IT
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You have selected 4 - Death by Snu Snu, please stand by...
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lucky bastard
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    hahahaha I'm half way through a bag off my Volcano and my tolerance is way down because I haven't been smoking much lately, so I was a little slow to catch that that was what your angle was 🤣🤣
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Also I was just excited to know a music reference for once (I am the LAST person in the world that you want on your trivia team)
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bummer webos 7.4 isnt working with dejavuln-autoroot
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    PS4 right? I think that's what mine's on. Or 5.6, maybe.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    [!] Installation failed (devmode_enabled not recognized)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    0.5 seemed to work whatever lol i wont bitch
  • Alysh_Graham @ Alysh_Graham:
    Hehehe
    Alysh_Graham @ Alysh_Graham: Hehehe