Hacking Why is every major dev of the Switch scene pissed about Xecuter's work?

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Yes. Nobody knows how stable it will be, nobody knows if it will get them banned or bricked later on in the life cycle, and once it is out, who is to say that it will be available for an affordable price?
Besides, personally, if I was on 3.0.0 I would stay on it because then I know something will work because I have gotten so much information from the devs.
This is my biggest concern. What measures will Nintendo take to combat it? I'd like full use of my system, and homebrew on current firmware.. Not at the cost of functionality.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if they are pissed why qlutto don't release his kexploit???

Because Nintendo would patch it immediately.
This is my biggest concern. What measures will Nintendo take to combat it? I'd like full use of my system, and homebrew on current firmware.. Not at the cost of functionality.

Will that even be possible? Maybe we simply will have to sacrifice online.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Others have taken it. Traditionally many of the hackers of such things have disliked piracy for a variety of reasons, and in many cases were the springboard for it in one way or another (others may have taken things and ran with it but shoulders of giants and all that) which could rub one the wrong way.
The latter may not be the case here but it does not seem out of place for some of said same hackers to express some displeasure at this development.
Not really worth paying any attention to, nor shaming anybody for. You can do the morals and whatnot thing if you like, or not.

Exactly. Ownership & Intellectual property is disbanded & not supported since 2000 years.
Idiots.

Intellectual property as a concept we would understand today is only a few hundred years old, and has transformed considerably since then
http://www.copyrighthistory.com/anne.html

these dudes popped up out of nowhere.
Even it they had (they have not, far from it) we deal in results.

Jacklack3

( ゚ヮ゚) buddie was here
Trophies
Website
jackomix.neocities.org
XP
Country
Canada
Personally I don't want competitors, if it's like CFW (I mean types of CFW, for example Luma3DS) then yeah it's fine. But if it's methods to reach stages of hacking a console, it would be rushed and unstable. Look at sighax, it was rushed to be released before boot9strap and it was getting negative feedback.

I think the reason the devs are just upset is from looking at the tweets, it seems to be they think it's like a taunt as if xecuter was like "Actually we already got CFW working heh no big deal. *brushes off shoulders*" but I don't think it is.

I can understand why they showed it after the presentation of 33c3 (I think that's the name), because if the devs are talking about their breakthroughs in hacking the switch, that'd be good timing for xecuter to be like "Oh we also have a project we're working on." instead of a showing off kind of tone

brickmii82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If they’re anything like MS, they’ll release a new console version just to stop the exploit....

Fuck you Winchester board!

Reactions: Kioku

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A cash grab implies that it's a shit product. These guys did their research and cracked the switch wide open. They deserve the money

Again, you're misunderstanding here. I'm actually for their product. Doesn't change the fact they'll make easy money off of it.. Or.. A cash grab..
if i recall one dev said (during the talk) "hopefully this convinces someone to share his kernel exploit" . . . i believe they have a specific someone and exploit in mind and with this team stealing the thunder by calling upon the talk as there reason . . . i think its highly unlikely that "someone" will release "his" exploit anytime soon and i think thats what upsets the devs . . . thats just my theory on the issue

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But didn't we find a way to get online with gateway? Also, what could Nintendo notice? I assume you mean like playing online and not just, connecting to the internet.

I never used Gateway, but use Luma 3DS, so I don't know how well it works. The real thing is cheating, which some inconsiderate people do with hacked consoles, every single one of those console users deserves to be permabanned if they're stupid enough to cheat online. While I'd rather wait for a softmod, this method will be more viable for those on 4.x.x.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
But didn't we find a way to get online with gateway? Also, what could Nintendo notice? I assume you mean like playing online and not just, connecting to the internet.

I'm guessing they'll treat their services a little better this time around.

Reactions: DayVeeBoi

Jacklack3

( ゚ヮ゚) buddie was here
Trophies
Website
jackomix.neocities.org
XP
Country
Canada
I never used Gateway, but use Luma 3DS, so I don't know how well it works. The real thing is cheating, which some inconsiderate people do with hacked consoles, every single one of those console users deserves to be permabanned if they're stupid enough to cheat online. While I'd rather wait for a softmod, this method will be more viable for those on 4.x.x.
You never said anything about if you cheat you get banned. And I think everyone knows that if you cheat you increase your odds really high to be banned. I mean't because you can use headers to make it so no one knows you are using Gateway to play the game.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

It is easy enough to load up your firmware with checks on its integrity, checks it is not doing things it should not, checks for obvious tells of a hack and more besides. If the would be hackers want to use your firmware as a base (and writing your own that still plays all the commercial games can be a right pain in the arse, especially for modern systems where the kernel runs all the time, so it is often better to just hack the one the console maker gave you) then they also have to remove all the checks, which can be easier said than done, if they also don't want to trip the device maker's alarms.

Jacklack3

( ゚ヮ゚) buddie was here
Trophies
Website
jackomix.neocities.org
XP
Country
Canada
Awwww, someones butthurt
I think they mean't like, if it's a modchip, it costs to make them, so they of course are going to be paid and not free.
I'm guessing they'll treat their services a little better this time around.
Yeah that's true, the switch is doing well with security, although I guess they're actually doing horrible since xecuter got like custom boot screens to work. lol

Reactions: Kioku

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Wlak like a Wlaker