Hacking Why is every major dev of the Switch scene pissed about Xecuter's work?

Jacklack3

( ゚ヮ゚) buddie was here
Trophies
Website
jackomix.neocities.org
XP
Country
Canada
Quite right, respect is earned. Through action, not continually whining for more free things on a forum. So you don't think someone is more important if they contribute code in a specific scene that revolves around releases by developers than someone that does not? Have you put any thought into that opinion?

Take more time to read and think before posting and put together a coherent thought. You're missing the context. See, someone who is involved in the work that a scene is based on, knows more than someone that does not. Therefore, their opinions are based on more actual knowledge, instead of watching things on the sidelines. That's why the opinion of a dev is more important than the opinion of someone who is not.

Do you walk into a mechanics shop and tell them that your opinion on how cars work is just as important as theirs is?
Yeah actually, because they're just someones personal, well, opinions. I could go "Winter tires work better on space" and the mechanics could even prove it's not yet I still believe it, sure perhaps the opinion might be right or wrong, but it's not more or less important.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I see now. If it's a modchip though, would it be possible to spoof data like that in the process of installing it? Not really sure how that sort of thing works, so I could sound like a big idiot.
Depends what is being checked.

The 360 notably had all its memory encrypted. This troubled certain types of cheats and ways of making emulators. Hackers then added a small window of memory that was not encrypted in some of the firmwares. Something similar is why the 3ds' javascript performance in the browser, which in turn means its browser as most of the modern internet runs on javascript, was awful.
I don't know that Microsoft ever looked for it, they presumably had far better methods, but had they then it would have been something they could tell by. The custom firmware makers would then be in a dilemma over whether they block this very useful functionality or leave it and thus leave a tell for Microsoft to find.
More tricky still. If your system has region locking Nintendo tell the firmware to try to load an out of region game, normally it would fail but if the region checks were gone and it succeeded then clearly you have a hacked device on your hands. What do you do if you are a hacker? You don't want to leave region locking. To that end you have to find the checks and make them behave like is expected of them.
On the DS the ROM images could not be read below the offset 8000h in a normal system. Flash carts however did not respect this and would return the actual data from that part of the ROM. Games could tell this. Many games then embedded hundreds and hundreds of checks (even slowing down the games at times) that ran at all sorts of odd times, and in ways which were not immediately obvious, or that might only happen later in the game.
You may have heard of games have anti piracy that does not stop you from playing but may change drop rates, make things harder and otherwise. Nintendo does not have to shut down the systems as much as send a little note to their servers that system with serial key [blah] is doing something it should not. 4 months later you get a banwave.
Back to the 360 there were optical drive emulators (things you plug into the DVD cable and then onto a USB drive. As fiddling with another device to change a game is annoying and involves getting up some devs then presented the photo viewer on the 360 (you could plug your USB drive in and view JPGs, play some mp3s...) with some pictures from its own USB. As the device could tell what was being read at any one time you could make a directory with all the boxart for the games and thus choose that way. All completely legit as far as the 360 was concerned, however MS could happily analyse common patterns in usage for it and tell it when it loaded something like Kung.Fu.Panda.Showdown.of.Legendary.Legends.XBOX360-COMPLEX.boxart.jpg rather than 102_0093.JPG (because most people would not make their own after all and just download from a handy forum or the devs themselves). You don't ban people for that but you can then put them under a microscope.

A particularly amusing story from Microsoft on enforcement

Any programmer that knows anything about security can think of hundreds of ways to tell by, and can embed thousands in their program at little to no cost to speed, size and capability, also make them hard to detect. The would be hacker gets to weed each and every one of those out and make them respond how they should. Easy enough to do in the cases where it blocks something from happening, harder for something that notes it in some odd way and sends it during what looks like a normal internet check.

Why then the hackers don't make their own kernel? In the case of the DS and 360 stuff they could not; it was literally within the game in the case of the former and in the drive emulator case it was aimed at people that could not hack all the security in the system. In the case of the switch though it is harder; the game devs probably don't know a thing about how the controller interacts with the system and they just know they get given control data (makes their lives far easier, allows Nintendo to release new controllers, allows controller swapping and more besides). The system, or kernel in this case, handles the speaking to the chips and decoding the data. Add on similar things for reading cartridges, speaking to the network, dealing with security... and the hacker has to remake all that just as the commercial games would want it.
Of course then for the next kernel Nintendo would then change something fairly substantial so all the new games act in a new way (the devs don't really care as it still acts more or less the way they were used to) and the hackers are back to square one. This is one of the reasons it can be hard to run newer games on older kernels.

PoppaDre

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
But if we all go away, you'll just have to jump to another community that will revolve around others work. And then you'll have to do the work of complaining about the speed at which others do work that you can't do. Won't that get a little repetitive after a while?

It's like being pissed off that someone gave you an apartment rent-free but didn't cook for you too.

Welp now that the afterschool special is over: Yes, some people have more worth than others. Someone that's unemployed, has no skills, and saps off of others for their life for example, is worth much less than anyone that engages themselves with developing skills or actually learning something. What you're still missing is the main point: You don't contribute, so your opinion isn't nearly as valuable. Hard facts about life: everyone deserves an equal opportunity at life, but no, not everyone has the same potential.

Like babies. Worthless saps

Xathya

residence aparents trols of temps
Banned
Trophies
Website
knucklestheechidna.com
XP
Country
Australia
becaus they are stupid crybaby.
literal no reaso to be made, other than that waergehrst will not get as mcuh thank and credit as he had hoped when he could had been th efirst fbi on the siwtches and homebrruws scene goes insanes .!!! on switchses!!
they just think pirasy is bad and do this crap like be angry means boyh. even thou it has ben done researcc proving that pirasy ends in more sale cause manage to conver t to buying legil customerresrs

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But if we all go away, you'll just have to jump to another community that will revolve around others work. And then you'll have to do the work of complaining about the speed at which others do work that you can't do. Won't that get a little repetitive after a while?

It's like being pissed off that someone gave you an apartment rent-free but didn't cook for you too.

Welp now that the afterschool special is over: Yes, some people have more worth than others. Someone that's unemployed, has no skills, and saps off of others for their life for example, is worth much less than anyone that engages themselves with developing skills or actually learning something. What you're still missing is the main point: You don't contribute, so your opinion isn't nearly as valuable. Hard facts about life: everyone deserves an equal opportunity at life, but no, not everyone has the same potential.

Well maybe they should get a grip and stop being so damn bitter about the fact CFW not being the only option. I swear they're up in arms because we're no longer forced to get a 3.0.0 console.

Homebrew shouldn't be monopolized by a single group.

D

Deleted-401606

Good god the people in this forum. It gets worse every time I take a peek.

Plenty of people here are providing some thrilling albeit flawed psychological analysis on all of the devs. Lots of uninformed words being thrown around about people they know nothing about. It's not as though plenty of us do the work we do because we enjoy it, or we like to test out our skills or learn new ones right? And it's not like the devs have their own motives beyond the ones that you're aware of from your own life. You know, the ones who have been working and giving you a reason to post here constantly, asking questions like "hax wen?" over and over and whining (because everything has to be for and about you right?).

It's like half of this forum hasn't aged to the point yet where they can view the world from outside the perspective of "but what about me?". Leaving adolescence gives you an appreciation that people have motivations that you don't. In other words, just because you crave attention, doesn't mean anyone else does. Some people RE because they like taking things apart, the added benefit goes to all of you. Some people do it because it's a chance to grow into a separate job field. Some people do what they do because they think things should be "right". That hearing someone saying or doing something wrong means you should talk about it or change it. There's millions of motivations beyond "craving attention", and just because that's your main motivator currently in life doesn't mean it applies to everyone else.

Nope. We get into it because we enjoy it. Or get paid to do it at our actual jobs, and these are side projects. Or just have a general interest. Are a select few guilty of attention seeking? Sure, but there's nothing wrong with that either because guess what? You are the benefactors, getting free things from others. What's wrong with people enjoying attention? It's a natural human compulsion, and obsessing over the fact that others enjoy attention is kind of silly no? Is there a smidge of jealousy perhaps?

You should if you ever want any releases. Otherwise you'll have to learn something for yourself. That could prove difficult for you.

But see, She contributes. You post meaningless words on a forum and give nothing back besides your armchair opinion. She could be the biggest asshole I've had the displeasure of talking to, but because I respect her work and what she's capable of, she still matters more than you do. Your personal feelings aren't the only thing that matters to the rest of the world.

Do you guys see a consistent theme here yet? Does it seem like a common element in this thread? That the people who contribute the least, and say the more inflammatory shit, are also the ones most concerned with "attention seeking"? Just ponder for a minute that the most common insults that others throw around are also the ones they most are insecure about themselves. Read back a few posts with that in mind and it's kind of obvious what kind of people sit around in these forums.

A smidge of jealousy? I find that extremely condescending that you even said that,no one is jealous of your lifestyle that much I will tell you and that is being extremely kind.Attention received on the internet is a little bit cheap for someone to feel jealousy over. Maybe with Justin Bieber that example would be perfectly legitimate but as of now you are just grasping at straws because I pretty much highlighted the main reason people develop for the community.I don't see why you mentioned that some people develop as a career,do you really need me to highlight that we aren't talking about people that develop for microsoft on a salary? I am not sure why you need literal explanations regarding context,but that is a different point in and of itself.

Smidge of jealousy comment is completely out of line,it shows that in your mind you are a person that others should be jealous of.Actually people with narcissistic personality disorder constantly feel like others are jealous of them,they are also constantly jealous of others which explains why they assume everyone MUST be jealous. Are you jealous of every guy that is more financially,socially,and sexually successful than yourself? Your comments calling other people adolescents are nothing more than condescending ad hominem attacks. Ironically,the way you resort to insults for your arguments only further highlights that the one with the "adolescent" behavior here is you. Simple psychological projection at its best.

PoppaDre

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well maybe they should get a grip and stop being so damn bitter about the fact CFW not being the only option. I swear they're up in arms because we're no longer forced to get a 3.0.0 console.

Homebrew shouldn't be monopolized by a single group.

I'm still on 1.0.0 :)

D

Deleted User

You really should write a blog. You go into so much unnecessary depth over the small things. It's cute. Look. You're ironically spouting psychological nonsense. Subtley insulting anyone who thinks the devs can be a bit pompous, and they can be. Then demeaning people over something that only matters to so few? I'll say it again. Get over yourself.
Think I hit a softspot. Going into detail is a problem now though. Makes sense, god forbid you attempt clear communication with others am I right? Your post can be simplified down to
I have too short an attention span and ability to understand, which is why I think everything is overly complicated or nonsense. Afterall, if I don't understand something, it's not my fault, it's just nonsense.

Fixed that for you. We can't tell why a developer made a decision, only a developer can tell why they made that decision. Their opinion has absolutely nothing to do with it. Their statement can justify why they did something with their opinion.

You seem to confuse the word opinion with something else. A developer saying piracy is wrong is an opinion. Does that make them right? No. How about wrong? No. Therefore, it is not anymore important that a developer expresses their opinion on a subject than anything else.
Again. Take some time and think, within the context of this forum, and why it exists, and what the interest revolves around, and figure out why you're entirely missing the point. An opinion is an opinion, absolutely. But do you think the opinion of someone that does not write software, matters as much as someone who does, when it comes to their own motivations? Look at this thread title, and look what other people have been saying. When you ignore the context of the conversation, we're not engaging in the same conversation.

Yeah actually, because they're just someones personal, well, opinions. I could go "Winter tires work better on space" and the mechanics could even prove it's not yet I still believe it, sure perhaps the opinion might be right or wrong, but it's not more or less important.
So let me give you a scenario. You're at work. You're doing a design meeting, and a brand new employee is there. Everyone is going over the multiple parts of a project, things they have intimate knowledge of. Maybe they've worked on similar projects, or components of this project for years. The new guy stands up and spouts off nonsense about how it should be done. You all know his idea is senseless, and would break the entire project. Do you continue considering their idea, or the opinion of someone that actually knows what they're talking about? In that meeting, who's opinion is more important?

A smidge of jealousy? I find that extremely condescending

do you really need me to highlight that we aren't talking about people that develop for microsoft on a salary?
lol oh you mean like Smea did? Or how Daeken has worked at some pretty big names? Or Hedge has (and does) work for some pretty big labs? Or that I do defense contractor work? Not everyone is in highschool. You missed the point that many of us do this as side projects.

Smidge of jealousy comment is completely out of line,it shows that in your mind you are a person that others should be jealous of.Actually people with narcissistic personality disorder constantly feel like others are jealous of them,they are also constantly jealous of others which explains why they assume everyone MUST be jealous. Are you jealous of every guy that is more financially,socially,and sexually successful than yourself? Your comments calling other people adolescents are nothing more than condescending ad hominem attacks. Ironically,the way you resort to insults for your arguments only further highlights that the one with the "adolescent" behavior here is you. Simple psychological projection at its best.
So, many more things for you to consider:
- Go look up Ad Hominem. You have a tenuous grasp. Inferring and observations of behavior isn't the same as being direct.
- Fun fact: Insults and arguments are at every age. There's really no statute of limitations on that one.
- Projections: Now this one is more fun. You only comment about attention seeking matters, and when a post is made looking down on (let's be honest here) pretty shitty behavior by selfish teenagers bitching about a couple of tweets ("every major dev is pissed" thread title, case and point), you take it personally. It's not like there's Daeken, Yellows, Hedge, Mission, rob, kgsws, stuck, stary, sciresm, sirocyl involved in this. But yeah, 2 pissed off tweets means all of us are suddenly assholes and because we didn't get everything to you exactly when you wanted it and you all collectively throw shit fits, we're the assholes in this scenario. Yup.

This forum as a whole for the past year
ch.jpg

Last edited by ,

brickmii82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Think I hit a softspot. Going into detail is a problem now though. Makes sense, god forbid you attempt clear communication with others am I right? Your post can be simplified down to

Again. Take some time and think, within the context of this forum, and why it exists, and what the interest revolves around, and figure out why you're entirely missing the point. An opinion is an opinion, absolutely. But do you think the opinion of someone that does not write software, matters as much as someone who does, when it comes to their own motivations? Look at this thread title, and look what other people have been saying. When you ignore the context of the conversation, we're not engaging in the same conversation.

So let me give you a scenario. You're at work. You're doing a design meeting, and a brand new employee is there. Everyone is going over the multiple parts of a project, things they have intimate knowledge of. Maybe they've worked on similar projects, or components of this project for years. The new guy stands up and spouts off nonsense about how it should be done. You all know his idea is senseless, and would break the entire project. Do you continue considering their idea, or the opinion of someone that actually knows what they're talking about? In that meeting, who's opinion is more important?

lol oh you mean like Smea did? Or how Daeken has worked at some pretty big names? Or Hedge has (and does) work for some pretty big labs? Or that I do defense contractor work? Not everyone is in highschool. You missed the point that many of us do this as side projects.

- Go look up Ad Hominem. You have a tenuous grasp. Inferring and observations of behavior isn't the same as being direct.
- Fun fact: Insults and arguments are at every age. There's really no statute of limitations on that one.
- Projections: Now this one is more fun. You only comment about attention seeking matters, and when a post is made looking down on (let's be honest here) pretty shitty behavior by selfish teenagers bitching about a couple of tweets ("every major dev is pissed" thread title, case and point), you take it personally. It's not like there's Daeken, Yellows, Hedge, Mission, rob, kgsws, stuck, stary, sciresm, sirocyl involved in this. But yeah, 2 pissed off tweets means all of us are suddenly assholes and because we didn't get everything to you exactly when you wanted it and you all collectively throw shit fits, we're the assholes in this scenario. Yup.

View attachment 110088
So are YOU pissed about the TX release? Or just aggravated at entitlement attitudes?

Jacklack3

( ゚ヮ゚) buddie was here
Trophies
Website
jackomix.neocities.org
XP
Country
Canada

View attachment 110088
Like I just said, an opinion can be right or wrong, (although that is the viewers opinion on that) however it isn't important. It's called free speech. It's your job to determine if you agree with someone opinion or not, deciding that has nothing to do with the opinion itself, or the ability to have one. I really want you to answer my question, why can you have an opinion saying how we have been doing something wrong our behavior but we can't, our opinions are the same, just to different people. If you say because you're a dev, that has nothing to do with the behavior of someone, you can't say because your more valuable than us, because, you're not, and if you think that well you're just a jerk then. If you were to read text from two different people of their opinions of a topic you know absolutely nothing about, and I asked who do you agree with, you might just pick one from memories that might connect to an opinion, you don't know who is the professional one or not, but it's still hard to choose cause you don't know the topic, thus proving that each opinion has the same amount of importance. Remember, i'm talking about opinions, not statement, which a lot of people agree it seems you're getting mixed up with.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
The amount of salt from some people here is incredible. Devs get pissed over something, so what? Is it necessary to call them assholes over it? Not at all. Let people do thier work and have their thoughts, it's completely irrelevent to even go on a agressive spree because you disagree with what they see how things go.
And while I'm at it, some people here should learn to not trash an entire comminuty for a few rotten apples in a basket. The ignore list feature exists for a reason.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States

View attachment 110088
I can agree with that. The PS4 scene is hilarious at times with the entitlement.

Reactions: brickmii82
D

Deleted User

I give up. Arguing is pointless because unless one of the two parties is in the mood to change their mind, and it is obvious that nobody here is in the mood to change their mind, so I yield.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I give up. Arguing is pointless because unless one of the two parties is in the mood to change their mind, and it is obvious that nobody here is in the mood to change their mind, so I yield.
Free will is a thorn sometimes.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Who the hell sells piracy? Kind of a paradox if you ask me

Except, it's not, they're not selling pirated/illegally copied games. Homebrew/hacking != piracy, get it right. Piracy is the distribution of illicit copies of a medium, how in the blazes of hell is installing a mod chip pirating or copying a game. It isn't FFS.

People are so f*cking salty, we need bleach to clean it up.

Reactions: MeAndHax and Ra1d

Jacklack3

( ゚ヮ゚) buddie was here
Trophies
Website
jackomix.neocities.org
XP
Country
Canada
Except, it's not, they're not selling pirated/illegally copied games. Homebrew/hacking != piracy, get it right. Piracy is the distribution of illicit copies of a medium, how in the blazes of hell is installing a mod chip pirating or copying a game. It isn't FFS.

People are so f*cking salty, we need bleach to clean it up.
I think the paradox part was a joke, you're buying something to get stuff for free.

Reactions: YugamiSekai
D

Deleted User

So are YOU pissed about the TX release? Or just aggravated at entitlement attitudes?
Hey man, actually appreciate the way you handled that post.

Just the entitled attitudes really. As soon as a potential promise is whispered of for people to get what they want faster, suddenly it's a shit flinging contest against the people that they've been following for damn near a year, waiting for releases and free things from. TX doesn't really bother me, it's a bummer that piracy will probably be an issue with the console knowing their track record yeah, but it doesn't invalidate the work done by Reswitched as a whole. If their chip does open up homebrew possibilities, what toolchain do you think people will be using to write the homebrew? You think TX has a fully fledged SDK for the switch available alongside whatever they're planning? Nah, they'll still need backing tool support and libraries.

It's just funny how the users here immediately turn into little bastards at the drop of the hat, as if the work that's already been done by the very devs they're throwing insults at aren't still going to be integral to the life of their community. They have no idea what kind of work or consideration goes into this kind of thing at all, but as soon as someone else can give them their lollipop they're right on the hate train.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Jaws is on a diet