• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Are you American? Are you circumcized? Then you NEED to watch this

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Ironic that this thread turned into a circlejerk of manufactured outrage. People list all the supposed "pros" of being uncircumcised, but what are the objective cons of being circumcised? I've only heard the one, that it decreases sensitivity, but that isn't objective and you'd have a helluva hard time proving that using the scientific method.

comput3rus3r

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ironic that this thread turned into a circlejerk of manufactured outrage. People list all the supposed "pros" of being uncircumcised, but what are the objective cons of being circumcised? I've only heard the one, that it decreases sensitivity, but that isn't objective and you'd have a helluva hard time proving that using the scientific method.
you can make the same moronic argument for "female circumcision"

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
you can make the same moronic argument for "female circumcision"
AFAIK it's not nearly as common and it's never been a cultural thing for the US. Your argument that circumcised individuals should feel "victimized" is what's moronic. People will decide for themselves if they want to play the victim, that's not your choice to make for others.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Doesn't help that some are basically saying you are in denial, if you disagree, or using unequal comparisons. Not that I agree with this argument either way, but still.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Because I’ll trust the guy on YouTube over medical journals :unsure:

The video feels like that assembly in high school where they tell you sex is bad.
This article you linked
https://www.webmd.com/parenting/baby/news/20141202/cdc-endorses-circumcision-for-health-reasons#1

is exactly what the guy talked about in the video. For the scientific illiterate population that don't know how to interpret data is exactly why they think the 50-60% number is good. But they came to the 60% number by using relative risk reduction. Actual HIV risk percentages are 2.5% for intact men, and 1.2% for circumcised men. A 1.3% difference, very little benefit for circumcision. They came to the 60% by using this math formula 2.5%-1.2%/2.5% which gives you about 60%, actual number is 0.52% if you do the math on a calculator, which is between 50-60%. So basically 1.2% is about 60% less than 2.5%.

U.S. has one of the highest rates of circumcised males yet they have one of the highest rates of HIV. Circumcision does little to deter from getting HIV.
And you can reduce HIV by using condoms, so no need to circumcise. So circumcising to reduce HIV should not be included as a plus because there are better ways to do it.

Last edited by SG854,
Reactions: comput3rus3r

comput3rus3r

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AFAIK it's not nearly as common and it's never been a cultural thing for the US. Your argument that circumcised individuals should feel "victimized" is what's moronic. People will decide for themselves if they want to play the victim, that's not your choice to make for others.
What's moronic is you assumption that infants are not victims when they're getting their genitals mutilated without choice. I'm sorry it happened to you, but just because you're ok with it doesn't mean it's ok to do it to others. I'm willing to bet the all the circumcised males posting on this thread didn't watch the entire video. This is is barbaric and shouldn't exist in the 21st century period.

Reactions: RHOPKINS13

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Here's the bottom line. You can get a circumcision later in life. Undoing it is pretty much not possible.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Here's the bottom line. You can get a circumcision later in life. Undoing it is pretty much not possible.
Even if it was an option, there'd be no real motivation to reattach some foreskin. If a guy is going to get surgery on his penis as an adult, it's either to enlarge it or remove it as part of transitioning to a woman.

D

Deleted User

There is actually something called Foreskin regeneration. The point of it is to stretch the skin so it does some mitosis or whatever.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I think the only thing that would create annoyance (not rage really, I couldn't care less about other people and their ways lately) is when people justify male circumcision on "scientifically proven benefits" that are fake.
It is weird, it is like they try to find a high moral ground or something by saying "no, it's due to science".
If people just stated it is because of tradition, or looks (whatever), or in order to avoid discrimination (that is sick, but I think @x65943's point is valid), well, that sounds honest and shouldn't be a problem, but why trying to seek a fake high moral ground? That is something between nauseating and cringeworthy.

IMHO, this is not much different than opening earring holes in babies' earlobes. With the same "benefits" and "disadvantages". It is not that important, as long as people know that the real reasons for it is personal preference/choice and not due to some fake health advantage.

Reactions: x65943

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cons of being circumcised? How about the risk of death, over 100 babies die every year in the United States due to circumcision. Some babies have contracted HIV or herpes from a mohel during brit milah. Lots of baby boys have other circumcision complications, like accidentally cutting the entire head of the penis off, or cutting too much skin off or cutting it unevenly.

Aside from that, circumcising an infant inflicts trauma and causes brain damage.

There have been multiple cases of people who got circumcised later in life as an adult and later said they regret it, and that it does decrease sensitivity. Of course, not many adults voluntarily go for circumcision, so there's really not enough for a scientific study. Also, from what I've heard, at first when they get circumcised they actually do have higher sensitivity because their glans, which is supposed to be an internal organ, is exposed. But a few years later after it's dried up and keratinized it ends up with much less sensitivity than before.

You also lose the foreskin's gliding action and lubricating functionality.

Female circumcision wasn't outlawed in the US until 1996, and there are still occasionally people that get their baby girls circumcised regardless (obviously in secret, not at a hospital). You may be surprised that some people are using the fact that boy circumcision is legal to argue that female circumcision should be legal too.

There are different methods of female circumcision, most of which are less traumatic than our current most popular form of male circumcision. Some forms of female circumcision are comparable to a pin prick, just enough for a few drops of blood.

But it's not a matter of which one is worse than the other. As far as I'm concerned they're both human rights violations and both of them should be illegal.

Reactions: comput3rus3r

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Cons of being circumcised? How about the risk of death, over 100 babies die every year in the United States due to circumcision. Some babies have contracted HIV or herpes from a mohel during brit milah. Lots of baby boys have other circumcision complications, like accidentally cutting the entire head of the penis off, or cutting too much skin off or cutting it unevenly.

Aside from that, circumcising an infant inflicts trauma and causes brain damage.
Honestly I couldn't help but tune you out after this point, this much hyperbole leads to a "boy who cried wolf" situation. Same deal with comput3rus3r repeatedly calling circumcision "mutilation," which just belittles real genital mutilation in the world.

comput3rus3r

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly I couldn't help but tune you out after this point, this much hyperbole leads to a "boy who cried wolf" situation. Same deal with comput3rus3r repeatedly calling circumcision "mutilation," which just belittles real genital mutilation in the world.
fucking ironic since you're belittling male genital mutilation.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Have some in closet allegations?
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Someone tried to pull a gun on me once, they reached into the couch thinking I wouldn't notice, quick kick to the arm snapping it between the wrist and elbow broke like a swing lol I reached into the couch to see what was in there, cool a free .380 lol had to hit him with it a few times to remind him not to do it again lol
    He had the 20K he owed the very next day it was a miracle lol
    Psi was a bad bad man at one point lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    We need a GTA based on your life, or at least put you in 6 as a character.
    I don't think people would believe 10% of the things I have done lol thank god...
    I have a giant check list of impossible things, and I haven't done them all yet lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Psionic Roshambo, Was the pot farmer in San andreas
    I tell people I wrestled a 5 foot alligator and they get this smile like this guy is full of shit lol the reality is I am sad it got away.... I wanted a pet alligator lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You live in Florida, so I believe it, you guys are crazy.
    At the time I would have probably fed it people lol
    Seriously cocaine not even once lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not even once, but 100's of times
    +2
    My girlfriend at the time, she had me stay up with her all night because some how the crazy bitch had spent like 12 hours snorting 2 8 balls, didn't use any water (gotta clean your nose) so she had so much crusted in her nose I was sure she was gonna blow up her heart. I mean this was the stuff right off the boat so absolutely pure. ugghh so annoying
    Also doing like 320 dollars worth of coke in half a day lol damn it
    hmmm 360 even lol
    Well I was getting a discount so 320 is probably right
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That is cheap, I used to pay $100 for a tine.
    Tine? One gram?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sixteenth
    Also it was literally out of a kilo when I got it off the boat so absolutely pure
    Holy shiz that's a lot
    +1
    I was getting 3.5 Grams for 320 could have stepped on it and doubled my money easy lol
    +1
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I was getting 3.5 Grams for 320 could have stepped on it and doubled my money easy lol +1