• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

The Queen is dead, Long live the King

ILuvGames

The Avatar-less One
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
She was a good woman. I'm no royalist, but I'm proud to have spent the past 50+ years of my life in the UK with her as Queen. As for Charles, well he tries. He'll never be as good a monarch as her though.

Last edited by ILuvGames,

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Didn't think I'd be bothered as I'm not a monarchist, but it's bumming me out as she was a pretty cool lady.

I was reading comments elsewhere and this seemed to be a common sentiment.

I'm guessing it's because, like them or not, the Royal Family are a large part of British 'Identity' for the lack of a better word. John Oliver IIRC once described them as 'our mascots' (which given current circumstances I'm aware may seem poor taste).

She's basically the only monarch my living family members has known.

x65943

pronouns big/pingus
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know everyone likes to pretend the queen and monarchy are a good thing, but as queen she oversaw a lot of wrong and injustice and did fuck all about it.

You can argue she has limited power, but that doesn't excuse her from looking on as atrocities were committed and turning a blind eye. Her legacy is with the victims of British imperialism as far as I am concerned. Let's not even get into the royal family literally housing and protecting pedophiles.

Hopefully the monarchy ends soon and Britain truly becomes a republic with equal rights for all - and self determination for NI and Scotland.

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Nothing of value was lost.
You can always see how popular people were and how many loved them when they die. Thousands of people will attend the queens state funeral and millions will watch in on TV. With an attitude like you have, I don't think you will need to worry about many tuning up when you come to the end of your life. Even if you didn't like her and she meant nothing to you, you should keep comments like that to yourself if you don't want to come across as a bit of a dick.

City

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
You can argue she has limited power
That's literally it? What she could do in her little, she did:

- As of 2012, she helped raise over 1.4 billion GBP for over 500 charities
- She helped the relations with Ireland by visiting it after an important irish event
- She supported ending the south african apartheid
- The day after the 9/11 attacks, she arranged at Buckingam Palace to play the american anthem during the change of the guard, something that many americans still remember fondly
- She fought in WW2
- She raised a family. I know it doesn't seem that special, but I'm sure she'd have wanted it to be in the list

Not to mention all the great PR she has done over the decades. I don't know anybody whom considers her a clown. I can't say the same for many presidents/kings around the world.

x65943

pronouns big/pingus
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can always see how popular people were and how many loved them when they die. Thousands of people will attend the queens state funeral and millions will watch in on TV. With an attitude like you have, I don't think you will need to worry about many tuning up when you come to the end of your life. Even if you didn't like her and she meant nothing to you, you should keep comments like that to yourself if you don't want to come across as a bit of a dick.
Stalin and Kim Jong Il had similar farewells, the amount of propaganda a nation consumes directly affects how many people care to show up to such events

The point still stands her legacy is stained with blood

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
just someone's grandma, mum, auntie, sister and cousin, very valuable i think.
She also covered up for her pedo son. So fuck her.

x65943

pronouns big/pingus
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's literally it? What she could do in her little, she did:

- As of 2012, she helped raise over 1.4 billion GBP for over 500 charities
- She helped the relations with Ireland by visiting it after an important irish event
- She supported ending the south african apartheid
- The day after the 9/11 attacks, she arranged at Buckingam Palace to play the american anthem during the change of the guard, something that many americans still remember fondly
- She fought in WW2
- She raised a family. I know it doesn't seem that special, but I'm sure she'd have wanted it to be in the list

Not to mention all the great PR she has done over the decades. I don't know anybody whom considers her a clown. I can't say the same for many presidents/kings around the world.
And of her pedophile son she protected or the death squads in Northern Ireland?

Reactions: Coolsonickirby

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
RIP Lizzie - end of an era! 70 years... reminds me of the time fukkin Maggie Thatcher resigned. But in a bad way...

Not sure about that big eared fecker taking over, was kinda hoping he'd step aside and let Prince William have it, but he's waited long enough I guess! (Charles III eh, third in an illustrious line of excellent namesakes :lol:, guess he can't be worse than the first two!)

City

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
If you don't think she has(had) influence in Westminster you are wrong
If she had one tenth of the influence you're claiming she had, there wouldn't even have been a settlement.

Also, as much as I don't like people banging minors, I really don't think someone doing a 17yo is a pedophile. Scumbag sure.

x65943

pronouns big/pingus
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If she had one tenth of the influence you're claiming she had, there wouldn't even have been a settlement.

Also, as much as I don't like people banging minors, I really don't think someone doing a 17yo is a pedophile. Scumbag sure.
No way that was the only minor he raped in all of his time with Epstein

You can argue whether he was a pathological pedophile sure, but as far as common speech goes - someone who rapes minors is a pedo

And as far as the settlement - that is US jurisdiction - the fact he wasn't extradited was entirely royal privilege and the Queen

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Biomutant looks cool tho, may have to try that
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Usually when such a big title leaks the Temp will be the first to report about it (going off of historical reports here, Pokemon SV being the latest one I can recall seeing pop up here)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I still like how a freaking mp3 file hacks webos all that security defeated by text yet again
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They have simulators for everything nowdays, cray cray. How about a sim that shows you playing the Switch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's called yuzu
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I want a 120hz 4k tv but crazy how more expensive the 120hz over the 60hz are. Or even more crazy is the price of 8k's.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No real point since movies are 30fps
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not a big movie buff, more of a gamer tbh. And Series X is 120hz 8k ready, but yea only 120hz 4k games out right now, but thinking of in the future.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mostly why you never see TV manufacturers going post 60hz
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I only watch tv when i goto bed, it puts me to sleep, and I have a nas drive filled w my fav shows so i can watch them in order, commercial free. I usually watch Married w Children, or South Park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Stremio ruined my need for nas
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I stream from Nas to firestick, one on every tv, and use Kodi. I'm happy w it, plays everything. (I pirate/torrent shows/movies on pc, and put on nas)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Kodi repost are still pretty popular
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What the hell is Kodi reposts? what do you mean, or "Wut?" -xdqwerty
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Google them basically web crawlers to movie sites
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    oh you mean the 3rd party apps on Kodi, yea i know what you mean, yea there are still a few cool ones, in fact watched the new planet of the apes movie other night w wifey thru one, was good pic surprisingly, not a cam
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, only $2.06 and free shipping. Gotta cost more for them to ship than $2.06
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I got my Dad a firestick for Xmas and showed him those 3rd party sites on Kodi, he loves it, all he watches anymore. He said he has got 3 letters from AT&T already about pirating, but he says f them, let them shut my internet off (He wants out of his AT&T contract anyways)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's where stremio comes to play never got a letter about it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just use a VPN, even give him my login and password so can use it also, and he refuses, he's funny.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I had to find and get him an old style flip phone even without text, cause thats what he wanted. No text, no internet, only phone calls. Old, old school.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: @BigOnYa...