• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Why is weed or cannabis considered a drug?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why is weed or cannabis considered a drug?
like its a herb, that you grow.

like you know, how people call it the entry way drug.

Its been stereo-typed, at one point people said it makes white women fall in love with african Americans.

or like SHOULD it be considered a drug?

Remember, any pills help you getting better is a drug. No difference about this one as well. It is good for you if someone make it with brownie or another stuff but pot to exhale smoke with this chemical can helps but is not good for your lung. If I want to use it then I will eat brownie that came with cannabis for a part of health and safe.

Reactions: DeoNaught

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
You begin to notice the effects it can have on people and how addicted people become to it and how they will do whatever they can to get more of it.

Seeing how it affected people in the hood who were pretty good people beforehand but then became junkies afterwards deterred me from it and so did the damn smell.

Aye, I got a first hand experience with it.
It's rubbish.

that's funny, because in english, the word "drug" is used for both illegal and pharmaceutical product. it's more true to the definition.

In French, illegal one is "drogue", while pharmaceutical is "Médicament" derived from "medical treatment" with a connotation of "being good for you" (still bad, sometime even worse than the illegal one?)

I don't call morphine "good for you".
Nor can I call other medication which has severe side effects "good for you". ;p

But it is true.
Medicinal "drugs" are designed to help your body fight off illnesses etc.
Hence they're approved for usage.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
that's funny, because in english, the word "drug" is used for both illegal and pharmaceutical product. it's more true to the definition.

In French, illegal one is "drogue", while pharmaceutical is "Médicament" derived from "medical treatment" with a connotation of "being good for you" (still bad, sometime even worse than the illegal one?)
Yeah, drogue is the literal bad meaning of the original English word drug, as I was taught. I thought an English word for médicament existed, isn't medicine technically the same word?

"Give medicine to him to heal his pain."

Reactions: Cyan

TVL

#|
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
No, I think that's a pretty bad idea. Some, like shrooms? Sure! Heroine? No. Although lsd has apparently been gaineng more traction in the world of medication.

Heroine would be solved just like they already do in Switzerland, you put up clinics were people go and get an administrated fix. Much better than addicts being forced to becomming criminals/prostitutes. Makes society safer.

So Krokodil is, according to your logic, also not a drug?
A substance designed to give you a shitty rush for 10 minutes only to leave you with your flesh falling from your bones?

There's a difference between the drugs.

Synthesized drugs are harmful as it's made from pure chemicals.
Nature grown drugs like cannabis, shrooms and opium aren't healthy for you either but are a lot better then MDMA, meth and coke etc.

Lol, that was the logic of the OP I was somewhat mocking, I just forget how much is lost in text. I don't really care which is unhealthier. If that was what decided legality I'm 100% sure legal MDMA would have way less people in trouble than legal alcohol.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Yeah, drogue is the literal bad meaning of the original English word drug, as I was taught. I thought an English word for médicament existed, isn't medicine technically the same word?

"Give medicine to him to heal his pain."

"Give him his medication" or "give him his pills" is used for that.
"Give him his drugs" is something negative yeh.

Then again, Drugstore/Pharmacy both mean the same.

Reactions: VinsCool

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
personally, I don't even take aspirin when I have headache, I just wait all day until I sleep and hope next day it wouldn't be there anymore. I'm thinking feeling is here for a reason, not feeling it could be worse.
I prefer not use any (pharmaceutical) drug to cure small illness, letting your body get used to it is not good either. I'm quite well protected against many illness (being in contact with a lot of people everyday helps reinforcing your body's defenses naturally). 10 day once every 2 years is probably all I get ill.

Last edited by Cyan,

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Heroine would be solved just like they already do in Switzerland, you put up clinics were people go and get an administrated fix. Much better than addicts being forced to becomming criminals/prostitutes. Makes society safer.

Lol, that was the logic of the OP I was somewhat mocking, I just forget how much is lost in text. I don't really care which is unhealthier. If that was what decided legality I'm 100% sure legal MDMA would have way less people in trouble than legal alcohol.

Nah, alcohol is small quantities are good for you.

it all depends on usage of the user it self.
Drinking a bottle of vodka a day is equally as bad as snorting a few lines of drone/coke/meth/molly a day ;p

nero99

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's because it can basically do the same as any pill that a doctor prescribed you. No prescription means no money for big pharma.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It's because it can basically do the same as any pill that a doctor prescribed you. No prescription means no money for big pharma.

That's not true.

It is true that Marijuana has a lot of positive benefits but it can not cure cancer or help heal a bone fracture.
It can reduce pain in someones body but it can't stand up to shit derived from opiates.

Besides, Xanax is a party drug yet doctors prescribe it to everyone and their dog.

also everything is bad, you can get addicted to everything, and everything excess can kill

Exactly that!

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States

Drinking a bottle of vodka a day is equally as bad as snorting a few lines of drone/coke/meth/molly a day ;p
Vodka cleanses your system and cocaine gives you nose bleeds. ;o;

TVL

#|
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden

I'm talking about the damage it does with those who drink alcohol and isn't that well suited to do so, people who get angry and gets into fights, drives drunk etc. I think that outweighs the people getting their health benefit from small quantaties of alcohol. I don't want alcohol to be illegal though, just so we are clear, I was just comparing the two.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
You're right. I guess it's more of a question of where you draw the line and start using the word. For example, a wrench is generally not classified as a weapon but you can definitely use it as one.
Everything is a weapon if you're MacGyver.

1NOOB

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
cause it is , like alcool , caffeine , acetaminophen , whatever prescribed . every one of them got variation and difference in potency in content . each individual will have their own reaction to them , some may fall more in a general categorisation than other . some wont be able to take any at all , some wont be able to fonction correctly without one of it , maybe two of it . some will never know they need it , some will never know they should not do it . the best way is to try with precaution and help . always get the most of the information you can , from both side , site like erowid got lots of shared stories with dosage and type of persons . im Borderline hyper emotif , weed is my drug of choice , not too strong to keep on going with my daily activities , work , entertainment . i have friends who smoke their way way and got different problems than mine . one of the friends of my Gf is the bad kind who try to find higher grade weed just to get a better knock out out of it , i see her smoke and just lock in the couch , wich is not my kind of thing , i have nothing agasint , but to me its the wrong way to use it , she also got some ADHD stufs and also drink and just enjoy too much life , kinda understandable ,used to be the same 8 years ago . probably would have more to say , but i think thats enough for now .

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Vodka cleanses your system and cocaine gives you nose bleeds. ;o;

LSD gives you beautiful dreams and drone keeps your mind paranoid ;p

I'm talking about the damage it does with those who drink alcohol and isn't that well suited to do so, people who get angry and gets into fights, drives drunk etc. I think that outweighs the people getting their health benefit from small quantaties of alcohol. I don't want alcohol to be illegal though, just so we are clear, I was just comparing the two.

There's a hell of a lot more traffic accidents regarding alcohol then there are regarding marijuana, same goes for violence

So technically, you should legalize marijuana and make alcohol an illegal substance.

It partially depends on the person as well.
If I drink large quanitites of alcohol, I start talking a lot and become affectionate.
However a friend of me mate gets extremely violent.
But that's besides the point.

J-Machine

Self proclaimed Pog champion
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
yeah, it doesnt have the stuff that the cigs have, nicotine, arsenic, Cyanide, and many more.
Donald P. Tashkin, MD, Director of the Pulmonary Function Laboratories at the University of California, Los Angeles, stated in his article "Effects of Marijuana on the Lung and its Immune Defenses," published in the Mar. 1997 "Secretary's Youth Substance Abuse Prevention Initiative: Resource Papers" by the Center for Substance Abuse Prevention:

"Analysis of the smoke contents of marijuana and tobacco reveals much the same gas phase constituents, including chemicals known to be toxic to respiratory tissue. Moreover, these gas phase components are present in somewhat similar concentrations in the smoke generated from the same quantity of marijuana and tobacco.

The particulate phase (tar) constituents of marijuana and tobacco smoke are also generally similar, with the major exception that marijuana contains tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and scores of other llIC-like (cannabinoid) compounds not found in tobacco, while tobacco tar contains nicotine not found in marijuana.

With regard to the carcinogenic potential of marijuana, it is noteworthy that the tar phase of marijuana smoke contains many of the same carcinogenic compounds contained in tobacco smoke, including polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, such as benz[a]pyrene, which was recently identified as a key factor promoting human lung cancer... Preliminary findings suggest that marijuana smoke activates cytochrome P4501A1, the enzyme that converts polycyclic hydrocarbons, such as benz[a]pyrene, into active carcinogens."

Also, marijuana smoke contains 50 percent to 70 percent more carcinogenic hydrocarbons than does tobacco smoke and has the potential to cause cancer of the lungs and respiratory tract. Marijuana smoke is commonly inhaled deeper and held longer than is tobacco smoke, increasing the lungs' exposure to carcinogens."

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
LSD gives you beautiful dreams and drone keeps your mind paranoid ;p

There's a hell of a lot more traffic accidents regarding alcohol then there are regarding marijuana, same goes for violence

So technically, you should legalize marijuana and make alcohol an illegal substance.

It partially depends on the person as well.
If I drink large quanitites of alcohol, I start talking a lot and become affectionate.
However a friend of me mate gets extremely violent.
But that's besides the point.
LSD, shrooms and everything in between can have some real nasty trips if you're not smart about it. Gotta keep in the up.

BlueFox gui

SOMEONE
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
somedays i like to drink coffee, and for real, brazil is the biggest coffee exporter but still, the coffee here is even better XD
people say they drink strong coffee and this is kinda bad, but i would like to see them drinking our coffee, its much more stronger even being the SAME as the other countries.
so, the taste can change something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto