• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Wtf Is Wrong With This World :(

Azimuth

Chicken Teriyaki Boy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
You know what they say, if a muslim commits a crime its because of religion, if christian/jew/whatever commints a crime its because of personal problems

Do you have any proof of that?
A crime is a crime, it doesn't matter what religion you are.

Its a fact that nowadays the US treats arabs/muslims like the enemy and continuously demonizes these people, as an example. whats the first thing you think of when you hear the word muslim. Let me guess terrorist suicide bomber.

But I don't want to enter into an ethics discussion...

aslacker55

I like pie
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You know what they say, if a muslim commits a crime its because of religion, if christian/jew/whatever commints a crime its because of personal problems

Its a fact that nowadays the US treats arabs/muslims like the enemy and continuously demonizes these people, as an example. whats the first thing you think of when you hear the word muslim. Let me guess terrorist suicide bomber.

Actually I'm an Asian immigrant that happens to be a Muslim and I also served in the US Army during 911 and the Iraq war. When I hear the word Muslim, I think of my family and friends.

Azimuth

Chicken Teriyaki Boy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
well you do, but do other people

salam
smile.gif

Azimuth

Chicken Teriyaki Boy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
well you do, but do other people

salam
smile.gif

Yes they do, I said I was in the Army during that time, my family and I were never treated any differently. What America is against is the radical Muslims that commit terrorist acts and not normal Muslims.

but nowadays people are bridging the gap between moderate muslims and extremist retards, every other day I hear some hate speech that is supposedly justified by the fact that the US is at war with extremists. I doubt that most people can tell the difference anymore and think that religious extremists signify the majority of muslims. It is a stereotype and just because you have not encountered it does not mean it doesn't exist.

Zaraf

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada

Actually I'm an Asian immigrant that happens to be a Muslim and I also served in the US Army during 911 and the Iraq war. When I hear the word Muslim, I think of my family and friends.

I'm also a Muslim
smile.gif
Assalamulakum! But I live in Canada
smile.gif

aslacker55

I like pie
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
but nowadays people are bridging the gap between moderate muslims and extremist retards, every other day I hear some hate speech that is supposedly justified by the fact that the US is at war with extremists. I doubt that most people can tell the difference anymore and think that religious extremists signify the majority of muslims. It is a stereotype and just because you have not encountered it does not mean it doesn't exist.

That's why people have to be educated and the media is at fault for fanning the flames of hate. Not all Muslims come from the Middle East, we are from different races and cultural backgrounds.

What angered me about your statement was that you presumed that all American hate Muslims and that America treats Muslims like crap. Your statement was wrong and uncalled for. QUOTEIts a fact that nowadays the US treats arabs/muslims like the enemy and continuously demonizes these people, as an example. whats the first thing you think of when you hear the word muslim. Let me guess terrorist suicide bomber.

Don't let your anger get to you and say such an ignorant statements.

Azimuth

Chicken Teriyaki Boy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I obviously don't mean to offend any Americans or judge them by the actions of a few, if I did that im sorry, because im not better than the people who stereotype.

Its hard to believe there are enlightened individuals in the US, when all I hear is terrorist this muslim that, and you throw away Habeas corpus in the case of an 'insurgent' if that isn't prejudice I don't know what is.

mthrnite

So it goes.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
America will always have both hawks and doves. One will always outnumber the other by a small margin and have control over the country's direction. Just try to remember, that for every person in America that believes a given thing, there is at least 3/4's of another person that denies it. Well, I'm speaking generally, but it's especially true in politics.

Judging a country by it's majority is ignorance... and by ignorance, I don't mean "you stoopit", I just mean you are discounting an awful lot of people to make a point.

Some of America is decidedly screwed up, maybe even the majority... but don't judge the whole country.

By the way, I'm not addressing anyone in particular.. just sayin' y'know.

And aslacker55, I haven't read all of your posts on this matter, but from what I have read, you seem to have a pretty good grip on reality.

..again.. just sayin'.

Mehdi

Lemonade by Psyfira
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
America will always have both hawks and doves. One will always outnumber the other by a small margin and have control over the country's direction. Just try to remember, that for every person in America that believes a given thing, there is at least 3/4's of another person that denies it. Well, I'm speaking generally, but it's especially true in politics.

Judging a country by it's majority is ignorance... and by ignorance, I don't mean "you stoopit", I just mean you are discounting an awful lot of people to make a point.

Some of America is decidedly screwed up, maybe even the majority... but don't judge the whole country.

By the way, I'm not addressing anyone in particular.. just sayin' y'know.

And aslacker55, I haven't read all of your posts on this matter, but from what I have read, you seem to have a pretty good grip on reality.

..again.. just sayin'.

Man I agree with you man.. I mean they say America is a democratic country how is it that people who voted for the losing party are unheared and the winning party gets all.. It's not democratic it's bullying, majority deciding what to do in the end. I'm seriuosly happy that I live in holland where every vote counts and parties get seats corresponding to the amount of votes they get.

Azimuth

Chicken Teriyaki Boy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
As I said, I am sorry for judging all Americans by the actions of a few(or the majority),

But the ignorant are the ones with the loudest voices and are the ones that are heard most often.

And I wasn't on an American smear campaign, if I wanted to hate on America its as simple as switching on the news.

Xeijin

Trophies
Website
www.xeijin.org
XP
Country
Why don't they have stricter gun laws. Or just ban guns altogether. No guns, no shootings. Simple as that. Oh, you like to hunt? Too bad ... pick up another hobby.

I disagree. Haven't you ever heard the saying 'if you ban guns, only criminals will own guns'.

Think about it, if this guy was willing to do that, don't you think he'd have found a gun whether illegal or not?

I'm sorry that just does not make sense. All citizens having guns hardly stops criminals from getting them. Also, if guns were banned nation-wide I'm sure that tragedies like this would be far less likely I mean let's face it the most publicised and horrific school shootings have been American. I personally think that the major flaw of the constitution is the right for Americans citizens to carry guns, while I accept that America was built upon these values (have studied all of this in History) I find it hard to sympathise with after some of the tragedies that have ocurred. Not that the UK is much better with the recent slew of London shootings, but I do genuinely think that such incidents could be less frequent if Guns were banned in America.

I think alot of problems are the way in which Guns are glamorized by organisations such as the National Rifle Association.

aslacker55

I like pie
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
And I wasn't on an American smear campaign, if I wanted to hate on America its as simple as switching on the news.

Nothing against you Azimuth, I accepted your apology.

That's also part of the problem, media outside of America stretches the truth and demonize America. They hate us and they love it when something like the shooting happens to us. It gets more people watching their shows if something bad happens to the almighty America, nobody cares if America does something good. People shouldn't get persuaded by the media, more than likely they are biased.

asv545

Trophies
XP
Country
I am going to post a progression of quotes from the 1700's on to help people who may not know where Americans are coming from on this topic.

Arms are the only true badges of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of a free man from a slave.
— Andrew Fletcher 1698

"False is the idea of utility that sacrifices a thousand real advantages for one imaginary or trifling inconvenience; that would take fire from men because it burns, and water because one may drown in it; that has no remedy for evils except destruction. The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes." Cesare Beccaria, as quoted by Thomas Jefferson.

Just to give some people an idea of the philosophy of some of America's founding fathers. Most believed that in the social contract we negotiate away a minimum of rights necessary to bring about peace.

"Many politicians are in the habit of laying it down as a self-evident proposition that no people ought to be free till they are fit to use their freedom. The maxim is worthy of the fool in the old story who resolved not to go into the water till he had learned to swim." Thomas B. Macaulay

The right to bear(not bare; huge difference) arms is considered a personal freedom by many, and was thought to be a fundamental right by the founders of America.

"To prohibit a citizen from wearing or carry a war arm... is an unwarranted restriction upon the constitutional right to keep and bear arms. If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege."
--Arkansas Supreme Court-1878

I do believe that where there is a choice only between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence. Thus when my eldest son asked me what he should have done had he been present when I was almost fatally assaulted in 1908 [by an Indian extremist opposed to Gandhi's agreement with Smuts], whether he should have run away and seen me killed or whether he should have used his physical force which he could and wanted to use, and defend me, I told him it was his duty to defend me even by using violence. Hence it was that I took part in the Boer War, the so-called Zulu Rebellion and [World War I]. Hence also do I advocate training in arms for those who believe in the method of violence. I would rather have India resort to arms in order to defend her honor than that she should in a cowardly manner become or remain a helpless witness to her own dishonor.
— Mohandas K. Gandhi, Young India, August 11, 1920 from Fischer, Louis ed.,The Essential Gandhi, 1962

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud, General Introduction to Psychoanalysis

"That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It our job to see that it stays there." George Orwell

"2nd Amendment Gun control? It's the best thing you can do for crooks and gangsters. I want you to have nothing. If I'm a bad guy, I'm always gonna have a gun. Safety locks? You will pull the trigger with a lock on, and I'll pull the trigger. We'll see who wins." Sammy "The Bull" Gravano, whose testimony convicted John Gotti

And to end on a more humorous note, as the great Krusty the Clown once said, "There are three reasons to own a gun. To protect yourself and your family, to hunt dangerous and delicious animals, and to keep the King of England out of your face."

Azimuth

Chicken Teriyaki Boy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada

That's also part of the problem, media outside of America stretches the truth and demonize America. They hate us and they love it when something like the shooting happens to us. It gets more people watching their shows if something bad happens to the almighty America, nobody cares if America does something good. People shouldn't get persuaded by the media, more than likely they are biased.

I don't think people hate Americans as a people, they hate America's foreign policy and your governments ignorance.

aslacker55

I like pie
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

I don't think people hate Americans as a people, they hate America's foreign policy and your governments ignorance.

How can you say that when they are screaming death to Americans and America. Burning our flag and showing videos of my fellow brothers in arms being bombed and killed. I was in Iraq during the war, do you know how it feels like when somebody is screaming death to you, your family, and your friends?

Taras

I'm Not Hating, I'm Just Sayin'
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm sorry that just does not make sense. All citizens having guns hardly stops criminals from getting them. Also, if guns were banned nation-wide I'm sure that tragedies like this would be far less likely I mean let's face it the most publicised and horrific school shootings have been American. I personally think that the major flaw of the constitution is the right for Americans citizens to carry guns, while I accept that America was built upon these values (have studied all of this in History) I find it hard to sympathise with after some of the tragedies that have ocurred.

Don't tell Americans how to structure our laws and we won't tell the British how to molest sheep.

End of thread.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: